Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CAR: 2008, Suzuki Swift 1.3 DDIS

PROBLEM: SVS light on the dashboard (spanner coming out the sunroof of car symbol).

I have a snapped glow plug which I cannot remove from cylinder head. I tested all four plugs with a multimeter and this snapped glow plug has an infinite resistance. The other plugs read around one Ohm resistance. I think I've figured out a hack to fool the ECU, but I am not happy with it, as it involves plugging a good plug into the lead from the bad glow plug and leaving this glow plug dangling in the engine bay. For one, if it is touching a metal surface, it sparks. There are coolant hoses and other plastic bits and pieces in the vicinity as well that can easily burn.

I was wondering if anyone knows if there is anything that could be plugged into the lead (instead of a glow plug) that would have the same resistance as a glow plug that could cope with a 12V voltage across it? Or, indeed, any other workaround that doesn't require me fixing it properly. From my limited knowledge, the car should be alright to fire up using just the three good remaining plugs.

·
Registered
134 Posts
So when you have the extra glowplug dangling you no longer get the spanner? If that's the case, there must be a current or resistance monitor on the circuit.
You can try to replace it with a wound resistor of a similar value, or get a bit of small pipe and thread it into the pipe to protect it and weld a tab on the side to bolt to some part of the engine. You don't display any location data in your profile, are the plugs needed in your climate?
Picture of the SVS lamp please?
If it's a service lamp it may not be related to the glow plugs, and may be mileage based. However, you need to read the codes to be sure.

·
Registered
268 Posts
12 volts divided by 1 ohm means that 12 amps are running through the circuit
That is a lot of current for any resistor.
The power rating would need to be in the range of 144 watts or more.

Sounds like a dangerous by pass.
Is there no way to do it right??
Remove old glow plug and replace?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi 100td,
I don't have welding equipment (or knowledge), and I've secured the new glow plug with a metal strip using a bolt which was already securing an exhaust manifold heat shield to the engine block. The glow plug is in a secure location now and is not moving around. I've tested it and it will glow red for the a few seconds before switching itself off. The SVS (Service Vehicle Soon) light has disappeared. By the way, according to my owner's manual the SVS light is used to indicate a possible problem with the electrical system. I know that the above isn't an ideal solution, and I think I'll try to find a metallic tube in which to enclose the glow plug in (to shield it from any flammable gase). That, or opt for the wound resistor idea (with a power rating of 144 watts or more - that 'avisitor' has suggested). Bar getting the head removed off the engine block in order to remove the old glow plug, I think the resistor idea is the best 'hack'. I'll try to get a photo of the warning light and also my handiwork.
Thanks folks,
Kevin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts