Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looked for 5 years before I found a SAMI with what I wanted to start with and the price I was willing to pay. Bought it last April. Came with spring-over lift and 32" tires. Bikini top with homemade Topbow and 2 swivel boat seats in back. The wiring was a mess. The engine had a massive oil leak on the rear main and a bad left rear axle bearing. $1500.00 It had potential. What I started with.

Started small by replacing brakes all around and rear bearing. The wiring was another story. It had been worked on before. If you have worked on wiring before....you know what I mean. Wife went to Europe last summer so I had 2 weeks free to work. Backed it into the garage and removed the engine.

Took the block to the machine shop and found out it had a crack. Not a lot of these blocks in my ares so I found one in Denver, CO. Got the engine back and bolted it all back together. While the engine was gone I cleaned and painted all under the hood. Removed the jack mount and moved the battery tray forward for a bigger battery.Took everything off of the firewall and painted it all gloss black.

Installed the engine and cleaned all the excess wiring up under the hood.

Got the mechanical part finished and then started getting ready for paint. Took sheet metal off of an old hood I had and repaired the back crinkle corners (both)

Started painting last week and this is what I stopped with.

Took some of the sheet metal and made myself a cover for the cowl vent to keep the leaves and crud out. Magnetic tape, screen wire....glued it all together and it bends and molds right to the cover.

It has been fun and I owe a lot of thanks to this forum for the help, advice and information that is free for the asking.:lol:

GIZMO

·
Registered
66 Posts
Question about your paint job! When you painted, did you take the windshield out and if so, how much of a problem was it to get it out and then back in? Since mine is a hardtop I have both the front and the back glass I'm wondering about.

Thx,
David

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Question about your paint job! When you painted, did you take the windshield out and if so, how much of a problem was it to get it out and then back in? Since mine is a hardtop I have both the front and the back glass I'm wondering about.

Thx,
David
When removing/replacing the windshield, plan to replace the seal. Plenty of lube and the old style string method works best.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replys. I didn't take the windshield out to paint. The string method Billjohn mentioned is not that difficult to do.....easier to do with two people but can be done with one. You will need a coil of 1/8" nylon cord..1/4" will do but it is bulkier to work with. Tie a loop on one end. Peal back the rubber seal on the inside of the vehicle and work the rope in around the seal. loop the other end of the rope through the loop and pull down till the seal starts to bow in. Start pushing and working the glass through the opening. Start at the corners and work around. You will have to keep pulling on the rope at the same time. Don't get in a hurry and push on the glass to hard. It is a process that will get easier as you go along. Do the same thing as you put the glass back in. Hope this helps and good luck.

GIZMO

1 - 9 of 9 Posts