It brought back memories -- GOOD memories -- THANKS.
Back in 1991, I bought a Tracker. It HAD to be a Tracker. I wanted a HARD TOP, but Suzuki -- for some reason that I will never understand -- did not offer the Sidekick with a hard top.
So I went with the Tracker. No big deal. So I went to the MANY CHEVY (AKA GEO) dealerships in town -- and there are MANY.
They were more than willing to take my cash -- Yes, I was paying cash -- but I also wanted a car with NO radio, NO A/C, manual transmission, no fancy rims, no fancy.....etc., etc. etc.. Basically NO NOTHING. It took a bit of work -- and arguing -- but I finally found a dealership that would give me what I wanted.
In the end, it was worth it. I still have it after 30 years, and it runs like new.
The funny thing is, I've never given it a name. It's simply "the Tracker".
Good morning team, hope everyone has a good start of the week!
Goooood progress this weekend. I deeeeeep cleansed with the scrubby bubbles to the door trims, weather striping, pockets, and surfaces. Also did the same for the roof area. Also lubricated the door hinges as they were making an ugly sound when opening them.
I had a go with dry ice on the tub of the car. Fantastic results, really get to see the total rust damage of the interior of the car, which is minimal overall, you will see in the pictures below.
Unfortunately I did not take any pictures of the dry ice in action, but take my word, a block of fry ice, rubbing alcohol, a chisel and a hammer will make the job very very easy, all under one hour.
BAM! now that is a naked tub! As you can see there is still plenty of residual adhesive agents that I plan on removing. DO you guys know if goo-gone works well for this or should I go straight for the orbital sander?
Close up of the trunk. The catcher bracket in the middle of the trunk will be removed to get wire brushed and painted. Everything you seen in this picture will be painted in black rustoleum paint, before new deadening material comes in.
Close up of the driver's side. Very little rust to be found here. Very satisfied with this. Will still be painting it, for future-proofing efforts.
And finally passenger's side, here you can notice the rust spots I had mentioned in previous posts. None of it is invasive enough to pierce through the sheet metal, it should all be treatable. I intend to do the same thing as the other panels, orbital sander to the area, then paint all around.
Close up of the worst part of it.
Very happy overall. I also picked up this MDF sheet to redo the rear speaker panels (I'm sure there is a better name for it). The skins are in perfect shape, but the MDF has a bit of water damage. I'll leave this project for a rainy afternoon.
The sound deadening is arriving tomorrow, so, I wish to get my rustoleum paint phase done as soon as possible. I have some errands to run this evening so I don't think I'll get around just now, but bear with me, it will be done as soon as possible.
30 years and going!! That's an incredible story. Hey we all are young and stupid once. Myself included at the moment hahaha. I hope I can make this car road-worthy and something to be proud of within the coming weeks
Residue of that adhesive is a pain, freeze it and sand it is one way. If you try sanding it will clog pads instantly at room temperature.
I have actually found that plain eucalyptus oil or even butter applied and left for an hour softens it enough to rub it off with fingers. Slow and tedious but it does work. Or leave it and paint over it if its stuck fast.