Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I have an 86 samurai and I recently found a gash in the sidewall on my tire so I went looking for new tires. I found a set of super swamper IROK ND's for 400$ and went and bought them. With that being said I will start regearing everything early. I was already running a 31x10.5x15 and I am not sure what the PO did before me. What gearing would be a good option as these tires will be much heavier then the previous ones that were just regular road tires? I will eventually be doing a transfer case regear as well maybe to 6.4:1 or 6.5:1. It will be a daily driver for now but also will be Used up in the mountains of colorado in deep mud, Sand, Rocks, etc...

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have just put on some 31x10.5's on my 86' and my transfer case is a 5.14 gears. Everything else is stock (to my knowldege) and I get around perfect! I can go 70mph and then go 2mph in 4Low.

I don't have much knowldege on the 6.4:1 of 6.5:1!

·
Registered
686 Posts
I went with the 6.4 transfer gears because I preferred the Hi range gearing as mine is road going as well as on the rocks. As I recall there was a fair difference in HI range between the 6.4 and 6.5 sets.

6.4 and 6.5 are pretty close in crawl but the samurai case has the unique quality of also having the Hi range reduced rather than 1:1 as found on normal vehicles. I forget the HI ratios right off hand. I ran one calculation each for Lo and Hi to arrive at the most suitable gears for me based on road speed vs engine speed.

I have the older trans with the higher 5th gear, 410 Toyota diffs and well worn 35" Wrangers and I find that it fits my needs well. I can do 75 but its more comfortable at 65. Any hills or headwinds lands me in 4th gear in a hurry and scrubs off 10-20 mph r/t lack of torque.

Try this link, I think this is the one I used and it came out as predicted.

Ack's FAQ -

I hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts