Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1995 Geo Tracker 1.6 16v Automatic 4x4. 2dr.

I am going to be running 30" tires. 30/9.5/15. I know i want to re-gear to better make use of the power the little engine has for 30" tires.

I think since I have an auto I have 4.30 gears right? The 5 speed 5.12 are the gears I want to help turn those 30's. i know 5.62 are darn near impossible to find since werent used much.

My questions are how much should i expect to pay for 5.12 gears? (junk yard)

Also I am so confused as to what these gears go into, are they for the rear diff or front diff or both? If so do i need 2? Also what about T-Case gears are those different? Sorry new to all this and trying to figure out what all i need for my little 4x4.

PS i know low range offroad sells T-Case gears for lo range only ( thats not what i want) i want gears which will give me more low end power 100% of time at cost of top speed. Thanks, HELP!!!!

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
You need to change both diffs. 5:12s may be too low with 30" tyres but there are 4:63s and 4:88s available as well. If you search on line you should find a list of the diffs fitted to different models. You will need to check the spline count on the shaft going into the front diff, there are 22-spline and 26-spline versions, the shafts are a relatively simple swap if necessary.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thanks for the reply. Since this is just a TOY vehicle for me and wont see highway use, i think i shoudl be ok with 5.12 gears with 30's. I dont plan on going 70.

I will replace both front and rear diffs at the same time. Or have someone do it cause i dont know how. Guess i could learn lol. When buying used diffs what do i look for to make sure they are not broken or they will fit my 1995 16v Auto 4wd?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Try driving it first.

A regear on 30s isn't cost effective really.

Go with LIGHTER wheels and tires. No 70lb interco tires. Tire rack is s good place to research tire weights before buying from discounttiredirect.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok ya once i get the tires on Ill see how she feels. I plan on getting the 30x9.5r15 Dunlop Mud Rovers. They weigh only 37lbs per TireRack and seem to be good and cheap too $136 per tire. For rims ill get some cheap 15 black steel ones.

·
Registered
621 Posts
37lbs isn't too bad. I think there are only 2 or 3 lighter in that weight range.

235x75r15 and 30x9.5 are about the perfect tires for these rigs. Everything eose is too much work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.