Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

First post here.
I have a 2003 2.0l petrol Grand Vitara with a Manual gearbox. I'm hoping to do a clutch change this week. I have downloaded the owners manual and have watched a few YouTube vids and it seems pretty straightforward.
I've been doing some prep today by giving all the bolts a squirt with Plus Gas to help get them off and some of them look almost impossible to get to !
From what I can see the starter needs to come off and there are a couple of bolts round the bottom which access looks ok, but there look to be a couple up the top, one I can see, one I cant.
How do you get at these ?
Exactly how may nuts / bolts need to come off to separate the gear box ?
I'll be doing this on my drive on my back so would like to know what I'm getting into before I start !

Any help will be gratefully received.
Thanks

·
Registered
9,433 Posts
Get some help,
Disconnect battery cables..
Raise on good jack stands,
Have a good floor jack and cradle, or a tranny jack,
Split transfer case from transmission, less weight, less wieldy,
Long extensions and wobble sockets for fasteners,

On assembly,
  • Replace pilot bearing.
  • check fork and pivot ball for wear.
  • replace any leaky seals,
  • check and replace any tight/loose U-joints..
  • replace any doubtful mounts...

·
Registered
275 Posts
There are 4 bolts holding the engine and transmission together, plus the 2 starter bolts. They are much easier to access if the intake and exhaust are removed. If you look at my thread about "Next project in the shop", I have a couple pics that might help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers for the pointers guys. I'll be starting this week sometime, so i'll be back on to let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gents,
I need your help. I've encountered a small issue with the gearbox removal.
We got the box lowered to the ground but didn't realise we hadn't unclipped a wiring connector. Its was a white two pin snap together connector. The prongs pulled out of the plug from the gearbox sensor side. They will push back in but I don't know which way round they go. The wires on the other side of the plug were a black and a red But the wires from the sensor which pulled out were both black.
Does it matter if I get them the wrong way round ? Any way to test I've got them the right way round ?

Any help would be much appreciated

·
Registered
9,433 Posts
If it is a sensor I should be secured with an 8mm fastener, unbolt and remove, at this stage if you cannot repair the damage you can obtain a replacement..

If it is some thing different, post a picture..

·
Super Moderator
18,017 Posts
If you are 2WD there will be only one switch on the trans. It is the reverse light switch #15. You wire it so that when NOT in reverse, (switch is then open) and lights are off.

4WD applications will have two additional (transfer case) mounted switches, #14 & 16. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts