Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone's educated guess on why a manual 5spd 4wd tracker tranny would pop out of 2nd?
Unit's history unknown. But would think lots and lots of miles.
I just agreed to buy two trannys from fellow. Trans 1 is car his car that he is parting out that "Ok" except for popping out of 2nd. The other he aquired to replace the popping unit. The story is a friend was going to refresh/rebuild it and bailed. Thus trans 2 is in pieces.
Now my tranny is toast. From the looks of the "gear lube" it might as well have been running with valve grinding compound and water as additives.I figure between all three units and a basic rebuild kit I should come out with a rebuildable unit. I'm kind of scared of an unknown used box on anything this old. Without at least pulling it apart and refreshing things.

So back to my question. Likely reasons for popping out of gear? Some I can dream up:
Chipped or missing tooth?
Worn or bent (very unlikely) shaft?
Extremely worn bearing?
Extremely worn everthing?
Compromised shift fork?
Bad karma?

Anyway the price is likely below scrap valve. 45$ for both. I can't go too wrong. 100 miles away though. But on the bright side it's only 50 miles from a town I get to regularly.

So again, anyone care to pick their choice of reason(s) for popping out of (2nd) gear?Particularly on these vehicles. Hopefully, unlike the reasons I've been dreaming up, from experience rather than imagination.

Thanks
ps. He does say he has other parts. Prices are reasonable. Of particular note the hard tops 170$..

·
Registered
288 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
option 1 - could be issues with the 1st-2nd shift fork and or detent ball
option 2 - 2nd gear syncro.

1st to 2nd shift has the highest revs drop so is the most stressed/likely to fail.

fixkick loves to go and on, but nevertheless, decent guides... at least youll know what waits for you

Thank you sir,
It will give me some indication of what's to come. We received about 6 inches (May 3rd?) of snow this morning but I think I'll slosh on out to the garage and at least get it solidly up off all fours.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Florissant Colorado same place Kathrin Lee Bates wrote "America The Beautiful" from. Just west of Pikes and east of South Park. Where the famed and mighty Kit Carson exterminated every Buffalo and Native American he could find. Some still think of it as part of Northern Mexico.

·
Registered
1991 Hardtop 3-door Tracker 1.6L 4WD 5-Speed No A/C
433 Posts
I thought that was the San Luis Valley?!?!??!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought that was the San Luis Valley?!?!??!
San Luis Valley (Alamosa) is due south if here about 70 miles as the crow flies. The South Park Historic District southwest to northwest begins about halfway between Florissant and Lake George and ends just north of Fairplay. Fairplay is where the tourist trap "town" of South Park is located.
Your a backpacker correct? Some of the best hiking in Colorado is up there in the Mosquito Range. Have you heard the rhubarb concerning the private land owners closing access to the three fourteeniers west of Kite Lake? Can you imagine owning a 14,000 foot mountian?
Anyway if you get down this way be sure to check out Guffy Cove (aka Paradise Cove) before the BLM closes if off.
Ah the San Luis Valley goes as far as I know not much down other than Cold, Cold winters hot summers and Chile Pepers and cactus. Other than the Great Sand Dunes National Park that is.
Hike Music Pass sometime (fall is best) from the Wet Mt Valley (Westcliff) over to The Dunes. Back before the population explosion one used to be able to "drive" it. You could hike it in one long day but take two days. You won't be sorry.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts