Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Y'all,

I'm trying to replace the transmission in the samurai I got last week. The new (to me) transmission arrived today, and I managed to get the old one out. The new one does not have the piece on top that the shifter goes into, just the square hole for it with 4 bolt holes around it.

Is there a gasket I need to go between these two pieces? If not, should I use some type of gasket material, liquid, or silicone? Or do they just bolt right together? I took the piece off the transmission I removed and I can't really tell if there was one on there. Kinda look slike there was, kinda doesn't.

I think I'm going to have to cut that notch in the crossmember I've seen recommended to get this thing back in there, it was a real hassle getting it out.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
212 Posts
Just used blue form a gasket on mine.
Loosened the motor mounts to get that tiny bit of space.
good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Yup, gasket in a tube works wonders for the shift tower. And here is a shot of how far I cut my trans mount back before replacing it completely with a high clearance mount.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have a link to the high clearance transmission mount?

I have yet to install my transmission since I was gone all weekend, but I did grind down my mount a bit. Less than yours so I may take some more off of it before I try to put the transmission back in.

A couple other questions I have come up with-

What type of tool do you use for the pilot bearing? I decided to leave the one that was in there because it felt fine, and I couldn't get the old one out. The bearing puller I bought was too big, and the one I borrowed from Advance was, too.

Also, how do you install the throwout/clutch release bearing? I managed to get the old one off by twisting and pulling about as hard as I could, but can't get my new one on. I broke one yesterday trying to bend the little arm the pin goes through with pliers and had to run out and buy a new one. Going to reattempt to install it tonight, hopefully theres some trick that i'm missing

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Oh, the pilot bearing.
I usually drop the flywheel and tap it out with a hammer, then reinstall with a brass drift. The throwout bearing is a little trickier but it will come out with a little twisting. I always thought of it like a puzzle that you had to turn just right to get it to release. Sorry if that isn't much help, but it always seemed to work for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts