Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Powertrains and Performance:
The Forenza comes with only one engine -- a 2.0-liter inline four-cylinder making 127 horsepower and 131 pound-feet of torque. A five-speed manual transmission is standard and a four-speed automatic is optional. Fuel economy is below average, rating just 23 mpg city, 30 mpg highway with the manual and 22/31 with the automatic"

Was looking at this online and wondering why it is a 4 cylinder five speed would have such an unimpressive gas mileage posting.. And what can be done to help? (nothing drastic please)..

I used to own a eagle talon five speed and got 30 mpg's city from my measurments, sadly it went to hell two weeks after I bought it.. but it sure would be nice to get that in our cars.... I mean its not like our cars hav big hp stock, so whats the dealio?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
All very true, yet I have looked at all the posts on gas mileage, and still dont see answer that pleases me, about this question.. Why our car, in a five speed, with a 2.0 liter 4 cylinder engine could be so crappy... No answer yet ;) so I guess I just wont ge the answer..

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
My best guess would be because the engine is really detuned. Just as one example, it doesn't run very much timing advance compared with other cars such as hondas. Also the head and manifold design likely just isn't all that great.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
true,... I think theres allot of stuff that just doesnt make since about this car..

·
Super Moderator
4,421 Posts
Okay I cleaned up this post and removed everything that had nothing to do with the OP. Lets try this again..:)

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Okay I cleaned up this post and removed everything that had nothing to do with the OP. Lets try this again..:)
You also deleted my gas milage posts that were on topic :(

·
Registered
132 Posts
I think we have a 14 gallon gas tank, correct?
Trying to think here.
I sometimes make a 137-mile drive, and on a full tank of gas, the car only consumes half of a quarter tank. I think that's on par with, if not even better, than the '95 Nissan Sentra I used to drive. The speed limit varies between 60mph in some places, and 70mph in others. I tend to drive 5 miles over, and maybe once during the drive I'll open the car up if I get tired of some jerk. But even with that, I still only use up half a quarter tank.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
well....

1. coolant runs through the throttle body
2. the car is tuned to run on 87 octane
3. the gears(manual trans) are fairly short compared to other cars
4. the intake and exhaust are both heavily restricted
and the list goes on...

our car is only 14k and you guys expect it to be some kind of speed demon or a gas saver...you get what you pay for...dont get me wrong, i love my reno.

it is currently winter and when you run the defogger, you're using more electricity and creating more drag on the crankshaft...even though i run the defogger 90% of the time in the winter, i've been getting 26's with mixed driving. if i had a 6th gear or if my 5th was taller, i'd be getting 30's easily...i'm waiting for the weather to start warming up so i can see what some of my recent mods have done to my gas mileage.

as far as fixing your "problem" goes, reduce strain on the engine. open up the intake, open up the exhaust, UD pulley, light flywheel, lighter wheels, lighter brakes....anything you do to increase power/throttle response or lighten the overall weight of the car will help.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well....

1. coolant runs through the throttle body
2. the car is tuned to run on 87 octane
3. the gears(manual trans) are fairly short compared to other cars
4. the intake and exhaust are both heavily restricted
and the list goes on...

our car is only 14k and you guys expect it to be some kind of speed demon or a gas saver...you get what you pay for...dont get me wrong, i love my reno.

it is currently winter and when you run the defogger, you're using more electricity and creating more drag on the crankshaft...even though i run the defogger 90% of the time in the winter, i've been getting 26's with mixed driving. if i had a 6th gear or if my 5th was taller, i'd be getting 30's easily...i'm waiting for the weather to start warming up so i can see what some of my recent mods have done to my gas mileage.

as far as fixing your "problem" goes, reduce strain on the engine. open up the intake, open up the exhaust, UD pulley, light flywheel, lighter wheels, lighter brakes....anything you do to increase power/throttle response or lighten the overall weight of the car will help.
See thats the kind of response I was looking for... thanks thats very helpful, and you made allot of good points...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Oh if I could get a 6 speed F28... I just love six speeds, my dad's S2000's tranny is one of the nicest manuals I have ever used... But then again, suzuki has chosen to stick with a 5-speed on their WRC SX4... I think that the swift and the ignis come with a 6-speed but not totally sure... Either way they chose a 5-speed for a reason... For some reason I recall reading an article about the SX4 WRC saying that the 5-speed was a better match for the engine...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Another Engine?

In Europe this car has a 1.6 or 1.8 L engine--why not in the US? Those engines get upper 30 MPG--with power. Can you put a 1.8 into a 2006 Forenzo?

Ron

1 - 11 of 11 Posts