Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP!!!

I bought my 07 SX4 Sport last March, the window sticker stated 26 City and 34 Highway. When I 1st bought the car, I was only at 17 mpg. After 2000 miles I was at 26.4 in City and 34 in the Highway. I was thrilled about this!

About 8500 miles, my gas mileage hit rock bottom. Now regardless of city or highway driving, I am only getting 22.3 mpg. WHICH SUCKS!! I even took the car to Philly which is about a good two hour drive one way with all turnpike driving and still only got 22.3 mpg.

I have not changed anything, still same gas station and same way to work, plus my other cars did not see this drop in mileage either.

The dealership informed me that it maybe caused due to cold and winter weather we have in PA. I think that is a totally crock of "poo." I have had other cars that have had milage counters and never saw a drop like this with no reason.

I am taking the car in the shop on Thursday, they are going to check the tire pressure and put it on the computer, but I have no idiot lights on.

The dealership is always on the radio "braggin" about how good the SX4 gets over 30 mpg, but I guess not mine.

REALLY REALLY UPSET and help would be appericated.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have had mine for 25 days and am on my second tank. The first tank I did ok on, but this tank is very poor. Of course, I drive 9 miles round trip to work, literally up and and down a steep hill with a mile and a half of flat land.

My take on the poor gas mileage on the SX4 has to do with the small gas tank. Let me explain, most of us are used to large gas tanks, so even if we are getting poor mileage we don't fill up as often. So we don't notice it as much.

In addition with the larger tank if the fill up is plus or minus a half gallon or gallon of gas and we do our calculation of mileage, the numbers "seem" to even themselves out. However, the numbers have nowhere to hide with a small tank. Third, poor mileage for part of the tank will adversely affect good mileage you might get on the rest of the tank.

Don't worry, I'm not buying what I said above either. Just things I have been told. What does the MPG display on the dash tell you?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

I have figured out the mpg, but the guage on the dash above the radio has been very accurate, I am still only getting 22.3 mpg. I think that just sucks!

Dan

·
Registered
143 Posts
im from North East PA, and yeah it will take some mileage for your engine to break in a bit and start getting consistent mpg. in the twisty hilly woods here, ive been able to get about 30mpg during the summer and about 25 now in the winter. on a 545 mile trip from here to the outer banks i hit 37.5 mpg

also remember that the computer is not always the most accurate. do some hand calculations. it may take a few tries to get it right with what you have used compared to what you put in, but it should yield better results. just give everything time. besides i have the 07 crossover, and you have the sedan so your mpg should be higher then mine since yours isnt awd and is lighter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, I have the 07 SX4 Sport Hatchback with the AWD, six CD changer w/ 9 speakers and subwoofer and Smartpass Keyless Entry/Start. I have just hit 9200 miles today and with a 1 hour ride to Reading, PA and I am still only getting 22.3 mpg. I drove 120 miles and put in 6.1 gallons, so I am actually getting worse gas milage, at 19.67 mpg. WHICH SUCKS!!!!! I am feeling ripped off, I cannot wait till I drop it off tomorrow and flip out. The norm' on the sticker states 24 city and 30 highway and I am getting 19.67. I should of spent my 17,399 elsewhere on a Subrau or VW.

Ugh, I feel like my prom date!

Dan

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am in Canada, I have an sx4 with i-drive automatic, so far I have put about 1000kms on it, it's still fairly new, I am getting 21-22mpg. Does anyone have any suggestions to improving the mpg?

·
Registered
1 Posts
i've had my 08 sx4 sport for about two weeks. on the highway i was getting 37.8 which the sticker says 31 and in the city around 26 sticker says 23. i do put my foot in it abit in the city with my sport shift AT. it does already have a cai system. but downfall is that it is made out of plastic and not very thick. i have found a cold air intake for 159.00 at this site:

ROAD***RACE Short Ram Intake SX4 [ROAD***RACE Short Ram Intake SX4] - $159.00 : Road Race Motorsports, Road Race Motorsports

that one is for the AT. the one for the MA is 199.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have about 7K on mine (bought it with 3.5K). The best mileage I got was 25.63mpg (US gallon). The worst tank did 17.47mpg. The average over 18 tanks that I recorded has been 20.3mpg.
I thought I was going to do a lot better when I bought it. Perhaps the streets of San Francisco are killing me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am at 8.1 litres per 100km on the computer, that's about 29 mpg. Had the car since July 07, this version is not equipped with 4WD and it is manual trans. Not bad considering the car is exposed to the insane and ridiculous Chinese traffic in its various forms....attached pic gives an idea of the sights available on a typical commute.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just got a 2008 SX4 Sport 5-speed yesterday, and with some stop-n-go driving combined with a lot of highway, my total average for the day, over 135 miles, was 30.9 mpg, so far so great, hope it keeps up! Traded in an '03 Ford Focus auto trans that got 24-30 mpg. I will keep yinz guys posted about my gas mileage, I hope that will serve as a reference.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys

I am from Slovakia and I have my sx4 4WD for three months now and have cca 4000 miles on it. My avarage consupmtion is 7,2 litres per 100km ( cca 31 mpg). Of course the consumption depends onthe style of driving. I am not big fan of agresive sport driving as well i am driving half/half city/country so I am pretty happy with the consuption.
My experience is that if I drive fluently with light foot in the city, I can do more mpg then in the countryside. That s because on the highway we have speed limit 130 km/h (80 mph) so i am driving at this speed or bit higher and then the engine takes cca 8,2 litres/ km.
This engine is set up for sport driving, so it s full power is at 3500 rpm up. If you like this style of driving your consuption will rise about 15 - 20 %.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I live in kansas and I am averaging 27mpg I tend to drive more aggresively than my wife and she drives it the most. It seems to get the best mileage at about 45mph. We have had our sx4 sedan about 8 months and I check mileage about once a month and have yet to get over 28mpg. Love the car though touring package is a great buy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been averaging 25.4 mpg back & forth to work ( 5.5 miles ea way ). I just came back from a trip to Daytona Beach ( from Collegeville PA. ), over 1900 miles total. The computer said I was averaging somwthing over 26 mpg, but I'd fill up every 300 mi. and it wouldn't take much over 9 gal. (9.25 most). That's over 32 mpg. I'm happy with that. I do use 5-30 synthetic oil.

2007 SX4

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not happy with mileage either

I've had my SX4 AWD (auto transmission) for about a month. I've put 1500 miles on it, and the computer is telling me about 21 MPG average. I've also been calculating MPG manually through several gas tanks. Each one is averaging 21-22 MPG. My usage is primarily highway, with limited stop-and-go traffic. I spoke with the service manager, and he claimed that the "break-in" period doesn't kick in until at least 3000 miles. When I come in for the 3k oil change, I'm supposed to request a mix of synthetic and non-synthetic oil, then at 6000 completely change over to synthetic oil. This allows the "rings to set". I've also increased the tire pressure to about 40 psi. We've been driving the car conservatively in the neighborhoods, so we're not sure why we're not getting better mileae. I am concerned that many folks have posted disappointing MPG ratings in their experiences. I hope that in another month, my MPG improve or this will be traded in for something else...which is sad, because I love driving this car!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm sorry to hear some people getting bad mileage out of this little car. I have the 2007 SX4 AWD Sport with manual trans. and haven't had a complaint yet. I wish I would have reset the value of the average fuel consumption display before my trip; I'm sure it would have displayed something closer to what I was actually getting. According to section 6-18 of the manual, break-in occurs during the first 600 miles. I changed to a full synthetic oil @ 2000 mi. and haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
180 Posts
My mileage kept increasing until about 7500 miles. Shortly after I switched to Royal Purple in the engine and diffs. I also increased the tire pressure to 38 psi and added the K&N drop in air filter. I went from 24+ to 27 mpg. Recently I started following my IGO's GPS instructions for economical routes and am averaging 28+

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok - I've added another 2000 miles to this car. One thing I'll say is I love it more now than I did. Fuel economy is up to 25-27. Not sure what is different now, other than perhaps the 3k break in was right? I also know that when I put my bike rack on the top with a bike, the economy goes way down. My husband took the car on a trip - 90% highway driving, loaded down with gear and 2 bikes and got 17-19 mpg. So, be careful about that!! We may be looking into a trailer bike mount to avoid that again!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts