Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
88 Samurai. Starts and runs fine, but develops a gas leak after the motor has run for long enough to develop some pressure inside the tank.

Steady drip at right rear of vehicle under tank. Leaks enough to put about an inch of gas in the bottom of a pickle jar, then stops. (About 5 minutes.)

Any ideas?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More Info:

Just discovered that it also leaks the same way when sitting outside in sun.

When I took off gas cap there was a noticeable pressure release from tank inlet, and the dripping stopped immediately.

So, obviously the tank is building pressure (either from running or heat buildup) and pushing gas out some orifice near the tank.

I will try a new cap to see if that fixes the issue, and remember to loosen the cap to relieve pressure when I stop in the meantime.

It doesn't seem right that the vent line should just go to the ground, though. Does anyone have any ideas on what else might be going wrong?

Thanks

·
Registered
264 Posts
The cap is supposed to hold pressure.
There are five hose connections to the fuel tank.
1) Fuel supply line - pulls from bottom of tank. Not a likely source of leak. You would usually have running problems, as the fuel pump would suck air. It is possible, that that a cracked hose would only leak under pressure and not under vacuum, but not very likely.
2) Vent line to fuel fill - Not a likely source of leak - Fitting is above fuel level, unless tank is overfilled.
3) Vapor canister line - Not a likely source of leak - Fitting is above fuel level, unless tank is overfilled. Vapor canister is behind right rear wheel well, in cargo area.
4) Fuel pump return line - Possible source of leak - Tank pressure would force fuel out of loose connection, or, crack in hose. Fitting to tank enters top, but its possible for return fuel from pump to leak out.
5) Fuel fill hose - My first choice. - Fuel hose enters side of fuel tank and is full of fuel, with tank level above 1/2 full. Expanding fuel could push past loose clamp, or, out of cracked hose.

Hope this gives you some places to check.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the helpful info.

The leak is very focused - I mean like it is dripping straight from a hose instead of leaking from the top of the tank and running down. The drips would probably all go into a Coke bottle once you had it in the right place.

I guess I just need to try to inspect the tank area and see what I can find.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Problem identified. Not from the tank at all. There is a cut in the short piece of fuel line going into the rear side of the fuel filter. Looks like it will be a cheap easy fix.

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts