Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! Recently did an oil change and it smelled like gas pretty heavy. I've been told it can be a cylinder misfire or fuel injector stuck open. I know it's not a FPR as the vacuum line was dry. It's a 95 Geo tracker also.

I'm pretty sure which cylinder as when I pulled spark plug the wire snapped out of the connector and the plug looked almost unfired.

What's a safe way to test this all out? And any ideas on if I'm on the right track or not?

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
8v or 16v?

·
Super Moderator
26,737 Posts
16v should be written on the valve cover. Otherwise, the spark plugs on the 8v are held at an angle, and the plugs on the 16v are straight.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Fuel pressure test, injector noid test?

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Research fuel injector NOID test as well.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
13,123 Posts
If the injector is stuck open, a noid lite will not be the tool to use..

Either an injector leak down test or a scope (to see the pintle hump)

·
Super Moderator
26,737 Posts
On the 8v, you should actually be able to look at the injector and see if it’s stuck open, rather than pulsing, while the engine is running.

·
Super Moderator
26,737 Posts
Personally, I have never done this, however, instructions for the 8v appear to be fairly simple. From another thread:
“You take off the throttle body air horn which is on top of the injector, and can watch it inject while cranking, or running.
If the injector is dead, or leaks at just key on, or leaks after key off, the injector has a problem.
if the injector leaks , at the tip, with key on but not started the injector is leaking, unplug the injector cable and if it still leaks at the tip, the injector is bad (or needs service cleaning) but of it leaks higher up?, then the o-rings are bad”

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Personally, I have never done this, however, instructions for the 8v appear to be fairly simple. From another thread:
“You take off the throttle body air horn which is on top of the injector, and can watch it inject while cranking, or running.
If the injector is dead, or leaks at just key on, or leaks after key off, the injector has a problem.
if the injector leaks , at the tip, with key on but not started the injector is leaking, unplug the injector cable and if it still leaks at the tip, the injector is bad (or needs service cleaning) but of it leaks higher up?, then the o-rings are bad”
Thank you much! I'll give it a whirl and see how it plays out

·
Registered
13,041 Posts
I'm going to ask a silly question here.

Is it running ok?

I get a lot of oil smelling like gas from normal blowby and short running trips in a lot of the cars I work on. If its srarting and running fine and not using excessive fuel the injector is unlikely to be leaking

Reactions: Bear95

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I'm going to ask a silly question here.

Is it running ok?

I get a lot of oil smelling like gas from normal blowby and short running trips in a lot of the cars I work on. If its srarting and running fine and not using excessive fuel the injector is unlikely to be leaking
The Causes of Fuel Dilution in Engine Oil
There is not one cause of fuel dilution within engine oils and this is a reason why it is such a common occurrence within engines. However, the main cause is through a process called blow-by. This occurs because most seals are not perfect (nor are the cylinders perfectly rounded), or there is an opening through the cylinder crosshatches, and this causes the migration of fuel and exhaust gases into the areas where the oil is used. This often happens in the region between the piston rings and the cylinder bore.

Other factors include leaking of the fuel injectors, incomplete combustion of the fuel, low engine temperatures, long periods of idle time and frequent short-distance driving.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts