Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sidekick has the round style evaporated canister...gas is dripping quite liberally from the bottom line.

I have the lines run as they appear on the Hood. Any ideas what's going on?

Can I get a pic of someone's to make sure all is well connection wise?

·
Super Moderator
26,904 Posts
No photo, sadly. The single vent is on the bottom of the evap. The two nipples on top - one hose goes to the fuel tank and the other to the evap VSV. If fuel comes into the canister it is drawn up into the intake when the ECU provides vacuum to the canister through the VSV. If you have no vacuum to the canister, it can become overloaded - you should check the EVAP VSV to make sure it is providing vacuum, as well as the vacuum hoses going to the canister itself.

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
Its my understanding that there should be no (or very little) liquid fuel reaching the "Vapor" Canister.

On the top of my 95 fuel tank is a Fuel Vapor Separator (had to repair mine due to Emissions test failed to hold vacuum). That device, along with a check valve at the tank should keep liquid fuel from reaching the canister.

I wonder if your body lift is interfering with the original routing of the vapor line that goes from Separator to Canister, thus causing liquid to pool where it should not?

Just a thought. By the way, I like your Stubby Bumper.
randy

·
Super Moderator
26,904 Posts
Very possible that other issues are involved, as well, allowing fuel into the canister. If fuel does reach the canister, however, there is actually a reservoir in the canister below the charcoal, specifically for any fuel that gets into the canister. If the canister is damaged in any way, that fuel can leak out. And if the hoses are routed incorrectly,or if the vacuum to the canister not working properly, fuel can accumulate in it.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
IIRC: You just swapped out this motor. Just to ensure you have the hoses reconnected to the correct places.

-- going from memory:

There are three lines from/to the tank. The hard lines end near the frame below the battery. One with a flare connection that is the fuel pressure line from the tank.

There are two lines with hose clamps. One is the fuel return, the other is the tank vent going to the Evap can. Could these two lines be swapped? (I am not sure what the symptoms would be if they were....) I didn't remove these lines when I pulled my motor.

I'd have to look at mine to be sure but I THINK the EVAP line is the line closest to the front. I'll check after my drive to work as I need to check the pressure line for seepage... another story.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I did swap the motor recently, but due to an exploding fuel line a year ago, I know those lines front to back. The fuel line with the banjo is right, the fuel return is right, I believe the tank line to the left side of the top of the evaporated is correct. The lines on the Mitsubishi fuel injection were switched up...but I realized that the person who I bought the motor from was an idiot and swapped them back the way the under Hood diagram says.

The body lift shouldn't cause any issues with the fuel, everything has tons of clearance. Thanks on the bumper.

Any chance because it was flooded for 300 miles the cannister is just ruined?

·
Super Moderator
26,904 Posts
It may be the safest option just to change out the canister, as the charcoal in the canister can deteriorate if its sitting in fuel. By the way, another way that fuel gets into this canister is when you overfill, or top off, the tank when you're filling up. Never a good idea.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.