Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Has anyone done this conversion without the adaptor plate?
I have a 1988 samurai sj413 with a G13A motor in place and I know that there is a load of info on the net about this conversion but wanted to know if it can be done with out the adaptor plate.
I have about 3" of lift so the sump should not be an issue.
Any advice and do's and dont's welcome.
Any one done this conversion with comments.. I will be sticking with the carbed version as I know nothing about fuel injection and dont want to get stuck in the bush. At least a carb can be force fed from a can if the pump fails.

·
Registered
9 Posts
hi,

i have just put the G16a carb engine in my SJ without an adapter plate! dunno where you are but lots of ppl in the Uk swear by not using a plate.

went in ok actually... the main point is that you have to re-drill the gearbox holes in the engine! make the top two bigger and relocate the bottom two. also make sure you get the top bolts from the G16a as the SJ ones are too small!

make sure you have the skinnier starter motor or grind some of the fatter starter casing off.

you will also need to relocate/adjust one of the engine mounts. its the driver side one on my sj (the side with the starter on it)

i have no lift so i've had to change the sump. its quite easy but you have to alter the oil pickup pipe bracket.

one random thing i found was that the engine/gearbox are now further forward (???) so i had to put a prop spacer inline with the gearbox>transferbox propshaft

anyway, best of luck! also the links below may help

Difflock :: View topic - 1600 conversion write up for you lot.

Difflock :: View topic - 1600 into sj without a conversion plate

final note: if you can, try and find a skinners union (SU) carb and make yourself an adapter/custom manifold. if you have a 1600 and SU carb it will go like **** off a shovel!

·
Registered
9 Posts
haha wish i'd had a look at that page when making my pipe!!!

I had to get someone else to re-weld it for me, as I dont have a welder, and you'd be suprised how many wrong places they can put it in without having the engine there!!!

In the end I persuaded a mate with a welder to take his sump off and use his engine as a reference! Bought him a new sump gasket for his troubles!!!

Also, rhinoman, the pulley... is that just so the fan fits on? I haven't found the need to do this but i have a kenlow jobby and am using the vit alternator...

Cheers bud

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Also, rhinoman, the pulley... is that just so the fan fits on? I haven't found the need to do this but i have a kenlow jobby and am using the vit alternator...

Cheers bud

I didn't get any accessories with the 1.6 engine so I used all the SJ bits including the alternator..

·
Registered
94 Posts
I did the swap and here are some pics of the engine mount mod on the right side (passenger side in Canada, Drivers side for you I guess) and the tabs that I had welded on the tranny (Gearbox)

I used a starter from a 1.6L and my engine came with the alternator and other goodies. I had to use an electric fuel pump because the 1.3L I had came with a mechanical one.Hopefully this helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I did the swap and here are some pics of the engine mount mod on the right side (passenger side in Canada, Drivers side for you I guess)
Hi Pilsner,

When you did the engine mount mod like this did you find that the engine and gearbox position was altered a lot? For example, my 1st gear is now where 3rd was, and 5th is halfway into my knee.

Think I may have to space out with washers, but it doesnt appear to make any difference when you're driving it... :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
G16A engine with original gearbox into a sammy

Hi, would like to know if its possible to use original gearbox/transfer case of the G16A to a samurai?
will it fit into the sammy?
Im currently running F10A engine- 4 cylinder / 4 speed manual.
And planning to get the G16A -8valve from the vitara.
I just want to make sure if its possible to fit in all its components to my sammy...

badly need your inputs

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Hi, would like to know if its possible to use original gearbox/transfer case of the G16A to a samurai?
will it fit into the sammy?
Im currently running F10A engine- 4 cylinder / 4 speed manual.
And planning to get the G16A -8valve from the vitara.
I just want to make sure if its possible to fit in all its components to my sammy...

badly need your inputs

It would take a lot of fabrication. The Vit has a combined tcase and gearbox assembly, the SJ uses a seperate tcase. You would also need fit a body lift or enlarge the transmission tunnel.

·
Registered
26 Posts
yep, lifted the body 2".
any other recomendations?
what kind of fabrication should i be expecting?
My original engine is starting to fail me and ready to get the G16A engine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok some progress.
I opted to get an adapter plate as I was unsure of the bolt patern of the 1600 16v motor whih is the same as the 8v motor. I am haveing difficulty locating a 8 v carb motor here in S.A. so am going to be installing the 16valver. I will be running it on a gotech engine managment system. Will keep you uptodtae as soon as its in and running. Am looking forward to the extra power though.
Thanks to all that posted the links and advice.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
The output of the Vit gearbox will need a blanking plate. You will need to adapt or fabricate an intermediate propshaft because the SJ output is a flange, the Vit is a spline. You would really need to get both engines and tcases together to work it all out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No rhinoman I am not fiitng the vit gearbox. The 16 valver will be going onto the sammy gearbox into a sammy.
Thanks anyway

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I didn't see page 2:rolleyes:
You will be very happy with the 16V with EFI :D:D I'm pulling my 8V carb motor go replace with a 16V Baleno/Esteem motor, I will run the stock ECU hacked.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi Pilsner,

When you did the engine mount mod like this did you find that the engine and gearbox position was altered a lot? For example, my 1st gear is now where 3rd was, and 5th is halfway into my knee.

Think I may have to space out with washers, but it doesnt appear to make any difference when you're driving it... :D
Mine isn't that bad. If my mount slips down it creates havoc but if I keep it in place then it is fairly good....not perfect but good.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok as it stands
Motor is in not bad for 4 hours work. To be done fuel pump and lines. Gotech and a dyno will post power figures asap. Can not wait.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Looking good. Suzuki should have fitted that motor as standard.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks rhinoman. I'm with you on that about the G16A being a standard engine. I am still amazed at how easy the install was. Picked up a few more spares today, fuel pump, fuel hose and filters. I cannpot wait to fire it up, oh and went in for a 57mm free flow exhast pipe today. Went for 57mm as am playing with the idea of a super charger as per the chileans that got the world record for driving altitude.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
completed pictures

Ok a long over due update. Got the motor running with a after market engine managment system and dynoed it, 67k/wats on the rear wheels. I am running 30" tyres though so am getting a big loss through the drive train. Its a huge difference to the old 1300cc that dynoed at 35k/wats with 215/15 tyres.
Anyone debating this upgarde take heed.......the power is brilliant like chalk and cheese. One of my friends has a worked 1300 with all the goe faster goodies and I still leave him standing.
Anyone done a super charger conversion to these motors?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts