Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

This is my first post here, so be nice :)

Recently over the last few months I have swapped a g16a 16v from a 1993 Escudo into my SJ413 here in New Zealand. I’ve done all the work myself, including the wiring

The problem is that I haven’t managed to get it to run well. It starts first pop every time, but runs like a bag of crap. Basically the car idles at 2krpm when it’s cold, but the revs bounce up and down from 2000rpm down to nearly stall. Sometimes it does stall. When warm, it idles around 750-800rpm and again sometimes stalls. It also runs rough, both hot and cold. It smells like it’s running very rich. I have no fuel usage figures, because I can’t legally drive this on the road here in NZ.

This first video is of starting it stone cold. I am not touching anything else besides the key the whole time. You can see my battery light when the key is "on" and the bright red light you can see reflecting on the steering wheel is from my (super bright, super custom) CEL.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/e2t561

This second video is of it idling a little later that same day, warm. You can see here that it doesn't run smooth - the motor shakes. It's not missing or anything like that, but it's just running rough. Revving hard (6-7k rpm) it seems to run smooth, but then back at low revs or idle, it's rough.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/WoU69b

I drove the Escudo before I pulled the motor out of it and it ran fine. The donor car was automatic. If I check fault codes, I get ‘12’ which means the car thinks there’s nothing wrong.

Any ideas here?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure! But what diagnostics have you done and what were the results?

... Philip
I have checked and cleaned a few things – mainly around the intake and the intake manifold (IAC, MAF etc). Checked fault codes (12 result), checked electrical connections and my wiring, checked earths, checked for air leaks, O2 sensor etc. Mainly things that HAVE changed or have been tinkered with during the conversion.

I don’t want to delve too far into things like sparks plugs, leads, dizzy, etc, etc because the car ran fine before the conversion, so these should still be working as they were.

·
Registered
8,452 Posts
Since you have an engine transplant, check those items which were not from the donor..

Engine grounds, fuel pressure/flow..

... Philip

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The fuel tank (and pump) was from the donor, and so were the fuel lines. The car seems to run fine at high rpm, so I'm guessing fuel pressure/flow isn't an issue.

I'll re-check all earths and grounds and see if that helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anyone have a procedure for testing the ECU temp sender (not the one for the dash)?

I'm guessing it's check resistance at cold, warm and hot. What numbers should I be getting?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts