Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lent my 1992 Suzuki Escudo to a buddy of mine on Friday night and he ended up driving on the tarmac with the 4WD engaged for a good distance and stressed the already old transmission. It's now dead and only moves when the vehicle is cold.

It's a 4 cylinder, 16 valve engine. I need to find the transmission rebuild kit so I can get the transmission rebuilt. Can anyone help with identifying the transmission kit that I have to use to get the transmission rebuilt?

Buying locally will cost $1,000 and it will be far more cost effective for me to import one probably from eBay.

Would greatly appreciate if anyone can help me out here.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Located in the Caribbean. Source my parts from the U.S. Normally from RockAuto or from eBay.

There's a reason why I asked which transmission kit the vehicles uses. I don't know what it is. I was checking to see if anyone knew. I did a search before I made the post as well.

If I knew the kit, I'd try to source it from eBay.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I lent my 1992 Suzuki Escudo ....
Manual or automatic? (Sounds like an auto.)
2 door or 4 door? (ie: 3 speed or 4 door?)

Not sure how running in 4x4 on tarmac could kill a weak transmission.
Transfer case, yes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is an automatic transmission. I'm not sure if it's 3 or 4 speed. How do I tell?
So you think it's the transfer case?

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
"I'm not sure if it's 3 or 4 speed. How do I tell?" --- For most markets, if it is a 4 door it has a 4 speed, 2 doors have the 3 speed. (Note that the first 4 doors, 1991, had 3 speeds and 8 valve motors.) The 4 speed also has overdrive button on the shifter and a power/normal switch on the console. there is also a controller under the dash.

Yes, I would be suspicious of the transfer case. _IF_ the running in 4x4 on pavement had anything to do with causing the problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh. Thanks for the info. Based on what you said, it would be the 4 speed.
It has a 16 valve engine. It does have the overdrive button on the shifter. It does have the normal/power switch.

Driving with the 4x4 on the pavement aside though, what happens now is that the vehicle isn't reversing at all. It drives after starting it up from cold. Once it warms up, it stops moving. Pressing the accelerator just revs the engine but the vehicle doesn't go anywhere.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
"...what happens now is that the vehicle isn't reversing at all. It drives after starting it up from cold. Once it warms up, it stops moving. Pressing the accelerator just revs the engine but the vehicle doesn't go anywhere. "

It actually sounds like your fluid my be low. Be sure to follow the directions when checking your fluid. (warm, engine idling in park ect.) If you check it like the engine oil (engine off) the level should appear WAY over filled as the torque converter will "leak down" into the pan.

If the fluid level is good, I'd try a drain, filter change and refill with new fluid. Only then would consider a rebuild.

While I haven't ordered from them here is a transmission parts source: Years up to 2000 Suzuki Transmission Parts

·
Registered
339 Posts
If you drive it in 4WD on the pavement, it normally affects the transfer case, not the transmission. I agree that you should check the fluid level and maybe do a drain and refill before trying to rebuild or replace it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts