Suzuki Forums banner

Fuse F1 in the engine bay keeps blowing

4K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  rasmeidirtrider 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, my 96'Sidekick Sport keeps blowing fuse F1 (15) under the hood. What is the problem leading to this. Any comments are highly appreciated!!

#2 ·
What electrically fed components stop working when the fuse fails? :huh:

Do you have knowledge / labeling or Manual (Service / Owners) input as to what that fuse position serves?

Is the fuse the correct rating for the circuit it supports?

Have you tied in additional loads by adding more electronics rather than separately power / fusing those needs?

Is this circuit trailer hitch involved by chance? :rolleyes:

#3 ·
Take a closer look, I'm fairly certain that fuse is not F1, but actually FI - Fuel Injection - and it powers the entire fuel injection system.

When does it blow - immediately it's inserted? Every time you switch on the ignition? At random times whilst driving?

#4 ·
Here is the fuse that blows:
The blue one after the white one. They are all 15. It happens one every three or five days when I start the car. The fuel pump will not prime the car will not start.

Attachments

#5 ·
Let me ask the question - do you really know that it blows when you start - or is it that when it doesn't start you find it blown? If it blew at shut down would you know it happened?

The fuel pump will not prime the car will not start - what dash lights do you have at this time - with a good fuse and a bad fuse?

#6 · (Edited)
it blows when I start. I can say this when the second fuse is replaced. Before starting the car, i open the hood to check that fuse and when I turn the ignition switch, the car crank but does not fire and I go check the fuse again it blows. The dash light is on as normal.

#7 ·
You have a ground short, replacing the fuse will not fix it,, start diagnosing, if not you will eventually let the smoke out and that will not bode well...

... Philip

#9 ·
I’ll preface this post with saying that I am totally unfamiliar with the Sport, but can give you some info regarding the 1.6 engine, someof which may be comparable.
At least for the 1.6, the fuel pump relay and main relay are the same type of relay. You advise that your F1 (yeah, FI, etc) fuse blows with the key in the on position - when the main relay is energized. Put the fuel pump relay in its place and turn the key on - obviously, your fuel pump will not work, but this will determine if there’s a short in the main relay circuit.
In the 1.6, the F1 fuse circuit is pretty intricate:
From that main relay, that blue/black wire runs to the fuel pump, the EGR solenoid, the EVAP solenoid, torque converter (if auto), idle speed solenoid, distributor, injectors, o2 sensor, etc.
If you remove the fuse, and use a test light in its place, you'll see that the light will be bright, as there's a short in the circuit somewhere. If you then disconnect each one of the components that the blue/black wire feeds to, when your light goes out, you have found your short. Saves going through a box of fuses.

The fact that you say this is happening intermittently - every few days, etc., - would seem to indicate that there is a wiring short somewhere, rather than one of sensors.

#10 ·
Intermittent short, first place i'd go is the fuel pump and its connector and isolate those first. How many of us have had those cook or short over time? Not saying thats where it is but its a good possibility.

#11 ·
It may be easiest to test at a time when the fuse has blown. Otherwise, you’ll have to wiggle the wiring in each of these circuits, in an attempt to get the fault to occur.

#13 ·
I'm sure you've already noticed that that thread is about a similar problem with a '94, 1.6 Sidekick.

I'd like to think that you are already aware, that there are significant differences between the earlier 1.6 Sidekicks, and the 1.8 Sidekick Sport that you have - the engine and its associated electronics are amongst those differences.

The advantage that the user in that thread has, is that the short is "constant", yours is intermittent, making the diagnosis much more challenging, yes, it could be a chafed wire shorting to ground, it's common with the 1.6, 16v engines, not so common with the J series.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.