Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I prefer to have a full-size spare wheel where possible, on the premise that in the event of a flat tyre the full size spare will allow me to continue my journey as per normal, and without having to worry too much about speed and range.

On my other car, I removed the space saver spare wheel that came with it, then bought a full-size spare which is kept in the spare wheel well in the boot (trunk).

My 2016 Vitara SZ5 came with only a tyre inflator kit... so I am looking at either buying a space saver spare wheel off ebay, or better-still a full-size spare.

Does anyone know if the current spare wheel well on the 2016 Vitara is large enough to accommodate for a full-size spare wheel, including the kit that comes with it (jack, wrench, triangle, etc)?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just as an update...

I bought an original Suzuki space saver wheel (complete with jack) for £209 off eBay.

I bought it because one of the front tyres got shred on a sharp kerb.

Not a fan of cars with no spare wheel...

·
Super Moderator
12,171 Posts
So - does it fit??

I always wonder why people take the time & trouble to post this sort of question online - 5~10 mins is all it takes to find the answer - either measure one of the road wheels and then measure the space, or remove one of the road wheels and put it in the boot...

A full month later and you/we still don't know ...

On a different note - 45 years behind the wheel, untold miles on two continents, and I'm yet to shred a tire on a kerb, how did you manage that?

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
On a different note - 45 years behind the wheel, untold miles on two continents, and I'm yet to shred a tire on a kerb, how did you manage that?
I've popped 2 tyres on driveway entrances in 10 years, wrong angle, too sharp an edge on the concrete cutdown and pop, down goes the tyre.

Punctures i've had plenty, and popped tyres off the bead many times too off road. You've been lucky, or not trying hard enough off road hehehe

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...On a different note - 45 years behind the wheel, untold miles on two continents, and I'm yet to shred a tire on a kerb, how did you manage that?
Last time I shred a tyre, was on the way back from Paris in my previous car (Kia Soul), while trying to get close to the ticket machine on the toll road leading back to Calais. The French (obviously) do not accommodate RHD vehicles, so I tried getting as close as I could to the machine, which left deep cuts on the front LH tyre's sidewall.

What I do find perplexing is why on earth would you have protruding sharp metal bits at the base of the ticket machine (well, I assume this is what it was, that's the only possible explanation for the deep cuts)?

The current affair is not of my own doing, the car was in use by a younger member of the family who has just recently been added to the insurance policy as a named driver. To be fair to the young lad, the reason we bought a 2016 car fitted with the outgoing 1.6L petrol engine and not a newer car fitted with the more-powerful 1.4L Turbocharged engine, is because of the lower insurance group which made it easier/cheaper to add the younger members of the family to the insurance policy.

So I am now the proud owner of an original Suzuki space-saver wheel, which came complete with a jack and the lock-down bolt.

The shredded tyre and damaged wheel were taken to a local wheel refurbishment firm, who will repair the damage to the alloy wheel and fit a new tyre (I ask for a Continental ContiEcoContact 5 tyre, to match the original factory fitment for the car).

The car is currently garaged, with the space saver wheel fitted.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've popped 2 tyres on driveway entrances in 10 years, wrong angle, too sharp an edge on the concrete cutdown and pop, down goes the tyre.

Punctures i've had plenty, and popped tyres off the bead many times too off road. You've been lucky, or not trying hard enough off road hehehe
The Vitara is the wife's car and also used by other members of the family.

It came with only a tyre inflater/sealant kit, which obviously will be useless in quite a few situations. Hence why I wanted an actual spare wheel.

On my own car, I have a full-size alloy spare (bought off eBay), and while I never needed to use it, it does help to know that even in the event of puncture I could still continue my journey as per normal rather than being forced to limp on a space saver to the nearest tyre shop.

Still, the space saver is better than having no spare at all....

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Still, the space saver is better than having no spare at all....
Oh for sure, I totally agree, at least they get you home.
Those inflator kits should be banned in my opinion. Anything bigger than a small nail hole and they don't work, and if you have had a nail go in you don't know what damage its done to the tyre internally. Many times I have seen significant damage to the sidewalls internally and had they been re-inflated could very well have burst with no warning if driven on.
Space saver, or full spare is the way to go, never reinflate a punctured tyre until its been dismounted, checked and repaired. Its your life and the other people on the roads lives you gamble with using an inflator kit.

Glad you have at least found a space saver. Just remember to check the pressure on it regularly and inflate to what is stamped on the tyre. They do run a bit harder than a normal tyre and drive carefully if using one.

·
Registered
8,412 Posts
and dont run it on the drive/steer corner... and stay clear of the donut shop

.... Philip

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The answer is that a full size spare wheel will indeed fit in the spare wheel well in the boot, though you will lose the 'hidden' shallow storage compartment under the double-floor boot liner.

As per my previous post above, I opted for an original brand new space-saver wheel (not full-size).

Refurbished wheel and new tyre fitted and bolts tightened to torque (100Nm), the space saver is in boot, so job done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts