Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi how are things, my full beam head lights on my 1992 samurai stopped working a few days ago, it was after driving through a muddy puddle which i almost got stuck in. the water was only up to the chassis so unsure if it was the water that got the lights. i've checked the bulbs and the fuses and all seem fine, i'm wondering might it be the switch on the lights stalk on the steering collum that after going.
Has any body encountered a similar problem or have any advice before i start messing with it.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
51 Posts
Unplug the wires to the headlight bulb and test for power. You may have bad bulbs. I had both head lights go out at the same time on a trip to Indiana and that threw me a curve. I had power so just had to buy two new bulbs! If no power check next at load side of fuse for power. Fuse could be good with bad connection! Do all your testing with the light switch on and in the failed position. I only say this as I forgot on the first try!!Hope this was of help.

·
Super Moderator
12,184 Posts
There is something that needs to be understood here - Suzuki wires their headlamps differently to many other manufacturers - the headlamps are fused left & right and negative switched - so if you have low beams on both sides, you know there & then that you have power to both headlamps.

If you lose both beams one side, check the fuses, but as long as you have one beam working on one side, the fuse is not the issue.

Chances are you've had both bulbs fail or you have a wiring or combo switch issue - I'd start by taking a look at the bulbs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the advice. whats the best way to test for power, i have no fancy equipment, can it be done using a spare light bulb and two short electrical wires connected to the area been tested?

·
Super Moderator
12,184 Posts
Yes a test lamp can be used - if you have a spare bulb, start by installing that in the head lamp and see what happens.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts