Suzuki Forums banner

Fuel to carb won’t start

9K views 49 replies 5 participants last post by  2013GV 
#1 ·
Just like the title. Turned and wouldn’t start. Squirt fuel in Carb at it ran but only with squirts. Took line off to carb and no fuel pumped. Went to filter and changed because it was blocked. Turned over and fuel pissing out line before carb. Did line up to carb and turned over. Wouldn’t start. Squirted fuel and started and would run as long as I was squirting fuel. Don’t know how the electrical works if there is no power opening up the fuel to carb. If you know please explain what may be wrong. Thanks in advance!! Joe

#2 ·
first of all, what year, model and engine, is it actually carbed? or fuel injection?

#4 ·
ok, was just confirming it was actually carbed.
It sounds like the float needle is stuck closed in the carb not allowing fuel into the float bowl, hence the no start and only running when you squirt fuel down the carb manually.

Disassemble and clean time.

#14 ·
Darrell, my thoughts would be be looking at he fuel shut off solenoid for operation, or dirt under its needle.
That should get power at key on in ign position? I don't have a diagram handy but that would certainly account for the original posters issues, no fuel getting into float bowl.

Fuel to line not attached in last picture. And with line on it won’t start
This of course assumes fuel actually comes out of the fuel supply line when its cranked.......does it?

#17 ·
Darrell, my thoughts would be be looking at he fuel shut off solenoid for operation, or dirt under its needle.
That should get power at key on in ign position? I don't have a diagram handy but that would certainly account for the original posters issues, no fuel getting into float bowl.

This of course assumes fuel actually comes out of the fuel supply line when its cranked.......does it?
Yes sir That is what I’m saying. Fuel will puss out line when line is off from carb but goes no further.

#21 ·
The wiring diagram is just great thanks. As you can see from the pictures the colours are going in one end and coming out different colours the other. I trace them through to the other side with continuity. So there is a connection. There is power going in on the hot (b/w) wire but there’s no power going to the solenoids valves. So I’m confused how these should be working. Thanks again for all the responses. ?

#23 ·
Just to hear it again, I had a pop bottle with a pin hole in it full of fuel. Put some in went in Zuke and turned it over. It Ran. So I ran and put more in the carb hoping it would clean up and start working. Ran it for about 30-45 seconds. Stopped feeding fuel and the Zukie stopped too. That is where we are at. ?

#25 ·
I took apart the old carb that was on the previous engine. It has the y on the intake for fuel. I imagine the rest is very similar. Blew in the holes and no air went through. Too the y off and seen dried fuel blocking. Cleaned it out and blew in the hole where that y went. It was blocked too. Seems to be the normal. So I cleaned that out too. Now the float on that old one is working. I will do the real operation in the newer carb and hopefully the problem is similar to the older one ?

#26 ·
Ok so this is the latest. I took the top of the carb off. Float would not move. Cleaned it up and air is getting through now. That’s good. Bad part is the high idol springs are sitting on side closest to firewall are not sitting right and I can’t find a picture online. Could someone send me one the way it should look. Once it is sitting right it is just a mater of putting everything else on and it should be a runner. ?. Thanks.

#35 ·
amazing how simple blowing a bit of air into a line will prove a fault exists...34 posts later and I gave you the solution in post #4. Glad you have got it running, now you know how scary carbs look, but how a small blockage stops things cold. And you fixed it yourself and learned things along the way. Well done.

Reactions: mhall9150
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.