Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brother in law has a 1997 Suzuki Sidekick Vitara. Went out this morning to look at an oil leak which had been repaired. Smelled fuel and noticed a pretty good leak, on what appeared to be some sort of solenoid valve on the back side of the head mounted to the main fuel line...

(combo, line, mount bracket w/O rings) it appears to be, with valve mounted to it. Left hand thread marks on the housing about 3/4 wrench size.

I'm asking for the proper name of this component. I think it is a Fuel Shut-Off solenoid Valve. Looks like some sort of screw on the backside of it which moves in and out when starting and turning off the engine.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
24,990 Posts
Are you fuel injected?? Can you specify which engine you have? It may also be a good idea to upload a photo of what you're talking about. There is no fuel pump solenoid on the car that I know of, at least in the US.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not a fuel pump shut-off solenoid, it's attached right in the main fuel line and mounts just below the distributor on the head, backside, about 4-6 inches below the throttle body...Very easy to see...It's night time here now, so maybe I can grab a photo tomorrow AM. Yes, it is a 1997 so it's fuel injection.

·
Super Moderator
24,990 Posts
Hmmm....looking at it, it looks like a fuel filter, but you advise that this is at the rear of the engine - normally it is at the tank. Or the fuel pressure regulator? But normally this is at the front of the engine, and not at the rear by the distributor. Is it connected to the return fuel line going back to the tank?
What I will say, however, is that there are no screws sticking out like that in any portion of the engine, as far as I know, and I would think that this screw has loosened, and needs to be tightened back into the assembly.
Maybe someone else (with a 16v engine??) know what this is....
What happens when you tighten that screw? Engine still runs, but fuel stops leaking?? Can you spec out what engine you have in this??

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This line goes down to the frame and back so I'm assuming it goes to the gas tank. I've never seen anything like this either, and I've been around cars for 50 years...Hmm, I did notice when I told my Bro-In-Law to start the engine that as soon as the starter engaged the screw device and whatever is attached to it on the inside slid or moved to the aft position, open I would think, because that is when the fuel started dripping out, Turn off the engine thing moves back in flush with the valve casing and the leak stops. Acts sort of like a diaphram...

It is a 1.6 engine. You can see in the photo the rod shaped bracket everything connects too. I worked with a lot of hydraulic components like this when i was in the Air Force and on civilian aircraft. Acts as a combo mounting bracket and hose allowing fluid to pass thru, with two "O" rings inside. Not saying this has that. I'm really not sure. I thought maybe someone here has seen this contraption on their vehicle.

I didn't try to turn the screw. With that thing leaking like it was, I didn't want to press my luck, especially with no replacement parts, and it's tough to get around here, unlike in the States. He called the dealer they are supposed to come tomorrow to look at it. I will post a follow-up as to what they find, and get a name for this thing, for the record, here on the forum. This may be something used on the vehicles just in Asia, not sure...

Thanks Bex

·
Super Moderator
24,990 Posts
Hmmm...I have the worldwide EPC and can check to see if there is anything in the diagrams that shows this contraption. Is this the 16v or the 8v engine? 16v should be clearly printed on the valve cover, or if not, the spark plugs on the 8v come out at an angle while the 16v plugs come straight up and down.....

Edit: at least in the photo - that screw appears to have threads on it, no?? As well as a flat head screw top? Very weird. Can you take a photo of the position of this thing from a bit further away, so we can see exactly where on the engine this is?? Then I will try to look it up.

·
Super Moderator
18,739 Posts
I think it is a fuel pressure regulator of some sort. :)

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I think that the pulse damper is at the rear of the fuel rail on 1.6, 16v and maybe a 1.8.

·
Super Moderator
24,990 Posts
Hmmm...it wouldn't appear to be in the proper location, no??
Here is a diagram of the pulse damper:

·
Super Moderator
18,739 Posts
Would it even make a subtle location difference as long as it regulates pulses CLOSE to the injector feed? :huh:

·
Super Moderator
24,990 Posts
I think Ranger nailed it. In looking through the internet, there is great talk about this leaking through the center screw (although apparently there is a diaphragm inside that is actually leaking. Although not for our cars, here is a photo of one for Toyota from Rock auto. Looks similar:
1990 TOYOTA PICKUP Fuel Injection Pressure Damper
Found a discussion about this on a Toyota forum. As well as an indication of an engine fire due to this leak. Some discussion here:
3ZVE fuel pulsation dampener - YotaTech Forums

And here is the part on the Suzuki online catalog:
Suzuki Parts - Lehman Suzuki Parts Center

Part no. 15750-82400

·
Super Moderator
18,739 Posts
That's it... ;)

·
Super Moderator
24,990 Posts
Mystery solved!
Cebudude, hopefully with that part number you will be able to find a new replacement - and all indications are that this needs to be replaced - and replaced before the car is driven, due to the possibility of fire, etc.

Edit: and just another reason why I prefer my old 8v clunker.....!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Yep, that's it...I just went back over and took a closer look at it. Has a plug in the front, and the leaky component on the back side. Now what exactly does that do, I assumed meters the fuel to each of the injectors...I've added a couple of more photos. Great job...!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Another question concerning this fuel pulse damper. These are really hard to find here in the Philippines. So I've been scouring the net looking for a parts supplier. Ran into a Toyota, and Mazda pulse damper. Looks the same as ours, same design, and everything. I'm wondering if these are interchangable. Any ideas? One dealer here said it would take 45 days to get one, jeeez...

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I just checked my spare and it's made by Denso. The best my old eyes can make out is 195280-0200 or 195250-0200. May be a Toyota parts clerk could pull the part and check for you. I'm pulling a 1.6, 16v out of a '95 Tracker later today and will pull the damper for the number; if different, I'll post back.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts