Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my 87 samurai i drove it about 150 miles on the freeway and when i got out the bottom was covered in oil...i looked and it appears to be coming from the extra tube on the fuel pump...is this a pressure problem in the head or a fuel pump problem or what?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Exactly same thing happened to me a few days back. There was oil everywhere ... coming out of that spare pipe on the fuel pump. I got a new pump and everything was fine, no more oil.
According to the diagram that came with the new pump the 'spare tube' is there to equalise the pressure on the outside of the diaphragm. It points down so that any fuel or oil that might leak out is directed downwards... or so Ive read anyway.
cheers charlie

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
If you have oil coming out of the relief spout, you need to replace the fuel pump. If you have oil coming out, you also have fuel mixing with the oil in the engine. At first it will clean the gunk out, but then it will kill your seals after a while...

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
You need to replace the pump as soon as possible, petrol in the oil will dilute it and can lead to the entire engine being destroyed - this has happened to many people who haven't acted quickly enough.

·
Registered
616 Posts
fuel pump badness!

You need to replace the pump as soon as possible, petrol in the oil will dilute it and can lead to the entire engine being destroyed - this has happened to many people who haven't acted quickly enough.

This sort of thread cannot continue without me at least saying -

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT, BOUGHT A NEW ENGINE!!!!

Replace that pump NOW!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Like I said I got a new fuel pump last week (same problem). It didnt occur to me at the time that the oil might be contaminated, but after reading this post it sounds like an oil change wouldnt be a bad idea as well!
Thanks for that.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i left the sammie about 3 hours away and rented a car so its still up there and im going up with the new pump friday and oil to change it out...but i do thank everyone very much for the save

·
Registered
616 Posts
mechanical fuel pump

Be VERY CAREFUL (!) handling the fuel pump - especially the pump acutator/lever on the back of the unit!

If you accidently bump it, you can tear the pump diaphragm and ruin the fuel pump! Then you'll have TWO BU-FUed fuel pumps!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts