Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I recently bought a neat little '88 1.6L 5spd Vitara that's been giving me a little bit of grief. Basically, once I get onto the road and hit about 40ks or so, the car will start to lose all power and start to shudder like it's going to stall, once it has this little fit it'll go back to normal for about 5-10km and then it'll repeat, the exact same thing happens when I'm going up hills (or even a slight incline) And occasionally when I come to a stop and then drive off again. I suspect it might be the fuel pump, but I've got almost no knowledge of cars, so any help or insight into what this could be is greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone!
Dylan.

·
Super Moderator
24,990 Posts
Can you confirm if you are carburetor or fuel injected? Makes a world of difference regarding answers to your situation.....

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
It sounds more like a fuel filter. If you have a bad fuel pump then usually you will get a leak out of the breather tube at the bottom or the sump will start to fill with petrol and there will be a strong smell on the dipstick, l would also expect it to be hard to start.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It sounds more like a fuel filter.
Cheers lads, I pulled the carby cover off this morning and there's some sort of sandy black grit in it, could this shit be clogging the fuel lines? The filter itself doesn't look too dirty but I'll buy another one this afternoon just to be on the safe side.

Cheers guys,
Dylan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts