Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a 1.3 to 1.6 conversion, got everything in , i switched over to a weber/carb from the efi
When we started it the fuel pump was noisy untill it got primed of course. so once we get system primed and engine running, it starts to loose fuel i am guessing cause the fuel pump starts to get noisy again little by little , then after it sits and idles for a couple minutes with the pump being noisy it will die, i then need to take the fuel line off at the carb , turn key on to get some fuel to come out into a container, then hook it up and do it all over again, the cycle repeats untill it quits again
i am using a napa low pressure pump that trail tough supplied me when i ordered some other parts from them
I have the pump mounted back by the tank where the old filter was , i am wondering are these pumps designed to be run closer to the carb , is this why i am having my problems maybee?
any help will be greatly appreciated i want to get this job finished and get out wheeling this weekend
thanks

·
Registered
192 Posts
I bet it's the thing that gets hashed out here about every week or so.
Fuel return line? It's needed.
And only regulate the fuel going to the carb, not back to the tank.
The pump is fine were you have it. They are pushers more than pullers.
Unregulated fuel pressure to the carb can damage the needle and seat.
They are noisy until they get a little back pressure. I think they are pushing more when they are louder, then when they aren't pushing as much, they get quieter.
I thought about making a little steel box with rubber bushings to mount it in, same place on the frame.

but then again it's late and friday... I could be off my rocker...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nope , had some pinholes in line above tank, ran the rubber high pressure line right to top of tank, runs like a charm and pump is queiot now
thanks

·
Registered
192 Posts
um, only the efi takes a high pressure fuel pump. A carb must use a low pressure pump. I assume you mean the fuel feed line when you say high pressure?
And you must have a return line for the fuel to go back to the tank. And I hope you replaced the filter... I have two under the hood, one being clear so I can see it.
Are you saying the engine runs like a charm or the pump?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
the engine runs like a charm, its a, new to me, 1.6, i used a low pressure pump, i meant, and said i ran the high pressure rubber fuel line to the top of tank, i cut oiff the steel line leaving about 1.5" on top of tank, i atttached the HP rubber line there , ran it to the filter/ pump near where the original filter was, and then attached it with more HP rubber line to the steel line going to the front, why would i have to do anyhing with the return line ?? not sure what ya mean there, in fact i dont have one now, as i am running a weber carb . theres no need for regulater with a low pressure pump that runs 4-6 lbs ,and i was just reading the webber needle and seat can handle up to 15 i think it was
thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts