Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you for having this forum and participating in it.

My "official mechanic" has his own Sami, however, he charges $60/hr to work on anyone else's, so I try to do as much work an I can myself.

I have a couple of issues to present to see if any one has an opinion.

1) fuel mileage - mine seems to vary from tank to tank. I fill up 2-3 times/week. I can get from 14-19 on the same route daily. It's mostly (80%) interstate driving. I replaced the fuel filter. About a month ago, I discovered that the front spark plug was loose. I replaced all the plugs early in 2010 , but didn't torque. I guess it recently worked loose. Performance improved a lot after I cleaned it and check the gap and reinstalled. Still the mileage fluctuates.

Thanks in advance for any input, ideas, suggestions.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Spark plugs and wires are wear-out items. NGK spark plugs seem to work the best. Use the plug number on the label on the underside of the hood or in the owner's manual (my '93 lists NGK BPR5ES).

The NGK plug wires sold by lowrangeoffroad are well-priced and seem to work well for me (but with limited experience).

·
Registered
99 Posts
20 mpg is ok, i'd expect more on the motorway though. I get 20-25 mpg if im 'good' running around town and down a few high speed roads. Try changing your driving style?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Merlin, I got the NGK plugs and wires and installed both. I also installed a new air filter. I'm now consistently getting 3-4 LESS per gallon on the fuel mileage! What's up with that?

No change in driving route or habits.

Any suggestions appreciated. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
What size tires are you running and are you compensating for the difference if you are running larger tires?

For mine (I run 31s) I multiply the mileage by 1.19. I am pretty sure that is correct for the difference in stock tires compared to the 31s.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Good point!

As another point of reference, I'm running true 29's and although my speedo is now within ½ mph at 65, my odometer reads 5% low, according to a handheld GPS calibration. These are not high-precision instruments. These rigs don't seem to get the gas mileage you'd think you should get. Another thing to check is your spark advance. As the timing chain stretches with age, the spark retards. My Zuk's timing runs about 2 degrees retarded from that (but nowhere near as retarded as its owner :)).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts