Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all! somewhat stumped... i haven't gotten the vehicle home yet to really do anything but examine in the parking lot...

i scanned previous posts to see a lot of similar carburated sami issues like this but none with the fuel injected...

'92 sami, stock 1.3. fuel injected. idles okay, can be erratic... to a stall. starts perfectly. battery and alt. are ok. don't "hear" any vacuum leaks, no fuel leaks. turn on lights... nearly kills engine. engage clutch and it runs VERY erratically and its very hard to drive and it jerks itself into a stall. floor is without the clutch engaged and it revs right out. floor it with the clutch engaged to try to move and it bogs right out if it doesnt jerk a little bit in the process. its not manageable to even drive home 4 miles right now.

my question is how necessary is the steel lined fuel filter? i understand sami tanks are problematic and i believe the carb'd sami's have an inline clamp on filter not the banjo bolted one like on my '92. any reason i cant cut the banjo bolted stock more expensive style filter out and replace with a 5/16" or 3/8" inline filter? anyone else done this?

i think this is just the first "next" step than mail ordering a fuel filter as i live out where apparently no one carries them, and for future maintenance issues...

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
my question is how necessary is the steel lined fuel filter? i understand sami tanks are problematic and i believe the carb'd sami's have an inline clamp on filter not the banjo bolted one like on my '92. any reason i cant cut the banjo bolted stock more expensive style filter out and replace with a 5/16" or 3/8" inline filter? anyone else done this?
The EFI system runs at a relatively high fuel pressure. The filter is much more rugged to withstand the pressure.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmm....

hmmm... i need a haynes manual. i know for a fact jeep cherokee's multiport inject run 40-60 psi and they have an inline rubber hose clamp style. whats the actual psi sami's run at? i need a haynes manual for one of these, the local parts store didn't have one... gotta order one, phewoooie.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Sammy runs about the same pressure so you could use the Jeep one if you really wanted to. Rather than buying the Haynes manual you could just download the EFI supplement for the FSM here:

.:Suzuki Download Archive:.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so...

thanks for the link to the FSM for the Sami. It's good but I bought a Haynes manual anyways... the layout makes a lot of sense and theres a lot of great info in there. so here's what I established... Samurai's EFI run at about 24-31 psi. Jeep 4.0L Multiport Injection runs at 45-55 psi. So because as i've heard that these Sami's have tender fuel tanks and getting rust out of them is not that uncommon i cut out the banjo bolt in style fuel filter to run a regular jeep filter because supply around here is 2 days to get one and the cost ranges from $23-33. Jeep filters are about $10 and available at every store so in the event of a trail fix or a breakdown I'd have it covered in the future... plus I'm cheap.

that was not the fix though... distributor, dist. cap & rotor, plugs & wires all fairly new... i'm thinking timing belt or worse... any one got any other ideas?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does Anyone?!?!?!?

Does anyone in here run a fuel injected Sami or is everyone carb'd up??

Here's what I've come to see is the fuel injector isnt spraying a completely conical spray into the throttle body and when you test over the terminal theres 0 ohms, where as a haynes manual says it should have 1-2 ohms of resistance or to replace.

fuel injectors range in price from $430 to $65... i didn't know if anyone else has gone through this and to verify if that is correct. i didn't know if i should be checking or taking the fuel pressure regulator to a shop or to start trying to code to see if maybe the MAP sensor is gone...

anyone with any experience please give me a shot otherwise stuck being a newbie to sami's with no one having other sami experience around here...

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
If its spraying then it isn't zero ohms, your meter may be a little out. Theres a very fine mesh around the injector, its worth pulling the injector to ensure that that isn't partially blocked. Also try running some fuel injector cleaner through it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tried the injector cleaner, it doesnt run well enough to run a lot through. the meter is brand new... hopefully get a chance to code it tonight or tomorrow morning... we'll see what that says...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts