Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, my 2006 gv (2.0 engine) is getting 14/100km ( 16.8 MPG 'US' ) on highway which is far from being accepted. thinking of selling the car and get hyundai elantra 2012 to save my day from the extra fuel expenses and enjoy the 6/100km ( 38 MPG 'US'), collage is far from home.

Things I've done:
# checked the engine thermostat - not stuck.
# cleaned the injectors: ultrasonic + 40 mins cleaning cycles - spraying pattern was fine along with the amount of fuel being sprayed.
# new spark plugs
# 0w40 fully synthetic oil ( since 2 years)
# tire pressures as printed on door metal sheet.
# cleaned throttle body
#tested the automatic transmission clutches

can one of these reasons below cause a low mpg:
# weak or dirty fuel pump ?
# Bad timing chain: hearing noise coming from the the time chain, I ran the engine without the belt to get an isolated hearing.
#engine also knock when accelerating and going up a hill.
# Bad transmission filter ?
# ignition system issue ? how to test it ?

notes:
#leaded fuel
# ODO meter 130K kilometers
# clogged cat converter has been removed. No o2 after the cat, just one before it. So I assume o2 readings to ECU will be the same.
# black carbon buildup on the exhaust end. one week ago the exhaust was blowing a black smoke with lots of water, it was gone the next day.

any ideas of how to solve the mpg rate issue or how to trace the issue more further ?

thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
429 Posts
can one of these reasons below cause a low mpg:
# weak or dirty fuel pump ?
# Bad timing chain: hearing noise coming from the the time chain, I ran the engine without the belt to get an isolated hearing.
Yes. Your engine should not "knock or ping" when under load.
3 things to check.

a) Make sure they are the correct spark plugs for your engine.
b) Increase your octane rating in your fuel. If your running 91, go to 95.
c) If it still knocks after above attempts, get your engine timing looked at. It may be advanced too much.

And I hope you have replaced your airfilter.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have the MY '06 2,0 liter 4 speed automatic version.
At 95 km/h on the highway with cc on I have with an hot engine 8,5 liter at 100 km. With the trailer at the back its 22 liter at 100 km (driving at 90 km/h)

At 130 km/h on the highway its 15 liter at 100 km.

very normal figures for me. IMHO the car is not made for speeds above the 100 km/h. I like to cruise with the cc on. than its also good for the wallet. The benzine cost €1,65 a liter, so why drive so fast :)

I use always a fuel with octaan 95.

ps, have an bullbar and sidebars on the GV, so the fuel economie will be worser by it (in NL we call it an bullbar, in the rest of the world not I think http://www.suzuki-forums.com/attachments/2g-2006-grand-vitara/28729d1390293742-post-somephotos-your-gv-img_3566.jpg)

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
# checked the engine thermostat - not stuck.
# new spark plugs
# cleaned throttle body

notes:
#leaded fuel
# ODO meter 130K kilometers
# clogged cat converter has been removed. No o2 after the cat, just one before it. So I assume o2 readings to ECU will be the same.
Sounds like a big mess. Was the vehicle intended to be used with leaded fuel? That would have stuffed both cats and you will have engine management system issues. You didn't mention if you had a check engine light on, but you must have. The Hyundai sounds like the best way out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The leaded fuel would have poisoned your lambda (O2) sensor, so it's understandable that your fuel consumption has gone through the roof.

You can replace it, but unless you switch to unleaded the same will happen again.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
The leaded fuel would have poisoned your lambda (O2) sensor, so it's understandable that your fuel consumption has gone through the roof.

You can replace it, but unless you switch to unleaded the same will happen again.
Your knowledge in diagnosing this is impressive!

·
Registered
863 Posts
Zack, in Calgary I get aprox 13-14l per 100km on flat roads with speed around 120-130km/h, in Colombia I have 2012 Avante MD aka Elantra and we live in the andes, around +1.5K above the sea, so I constantly get 13-14l per 100km while speed is below 40km/h.

My other vehicles (LX460 or Prado 150) in Colombia never go below 26-28l per 100km, in Europe my 2012 Pathfinder 3l diesel in constant traffic conditions while speed is around 10km/h gives me only 8-9l per 100km, therefore I really love to live over there...

In Venezuela where I work I prefer to use dodge ram 2500 with 5.7l V8 and dont care about gas at all...it cost less then $1US to fill in a whole tank

1 - 8 of 8 Posts