Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happens while driving if I switch direction from left to right more than 1/4 turn and also at low speeds too when parking for example.

I thought it was the strut mount but that was replaced along with the strut as well as the axle (blown strut and worn CV) but it's still making the exact same noise.

I haven't taken a look underneath yet since it's been raining for over a week straight.. What else could it be? Sway bar bushings? Tie rod ends? Is there something there that commonly wears out with these cars?
Nothing looked obviously worn when I was in there changing out parts a couple weeks back.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mine does the exact same thing on my 2000 Esteem wagon 1.8L, I had a cracked strut mount so I replaced that this past weekend thinking it would take care of the problem but its still making clunking sounds. It's more evident for me when I accelerate and decelerate quickly. I think the Cv joing and shocks are fine..I thin kit might be the wheel bearrings because it has some play when I rock it back and forth which almost sounds like the clunking sound..cant be sure though.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I have a 2002 1.8 Esteem, it makes a slight clunk noise too about 10 feet after I hit the gas, I have no idea what is causing it and I'm not going to throw money at it until something breaks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have this same clunk. When I bought my Esteem from my father in law, it had just had the front end recall repair done to it, and he said that it hadn't been making that clunk before. I did replace both cv shafts as they both were bad at the outboard cv joints, and still the clunk, but it only seems to be coming from the driver side. I did notice that my ball joint boot was split in half, that will be my next repair (the complete ball joint) and I will write back if it makes any difference.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Why not jack car on stands so that front wheels are in air and just rock the crap out of the front suspension to maybe hear where the noise is coming from? I too have the clunk and i think that's what i'm going to do to find the cause.

jcgss77 - i see you're in Searcy AR. I'm going to Batesville in a few days, will be driving through Searcy. What a beautiful country!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Why not jack car on stands so that front wheels are in air and just rock the crap out of the front suspension to maybe hear where the noise is coming from? I too have the clunk and i think that's what i'm going to do to find the cause.

jcgss77 - i see you're in Searcy AR. I'm going to Batesville in a few days, will be driving through Searcy. What a beautiful country!
Yes, Searcy is a great place to live, if you like a slower pace. We moved from Cabot last year, and Cabot we prefer, but it is a little expensive there, and we moved up here for better schools as we have a child with autism. We are Pennsylvania transplants, and I personally like it down here much better. Winter is a thing of the past, really. Do you live around here? I have seen a couple Esteems around. Might have seen yours.

·
Registered
43 Posts
No, I live in Riverside, California. I am visiting family in Batesville next week. We're driving the Esteem from CA to AR. Cruise control is much appreciated on these trips! Been to Cabot. I lived in your neck of the woods for 6 years, so I know my way around;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts