Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for front lower control arms for my 1989 Suzuki Sidekick JX 4WD. There are lots of choices but there are two in particular that I am comparing:
  • Moog RK-640421 & RK-640422: The RK designation indicates the economical line of Moog products.
  • Mevotech CMS9800 & CMS9801: The CMS designation indicates the higher quality line of Mevotech products with a corrosion resistant finish.
Can anyone with first hand knowledge of these two product lines advise me on making a choice? Short of ordering the originals from MegaZip are there better choices?

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Mevotech Overbuilt vs ACDelco Professional

Since the Moog R-Series does not have a corrosion-resistant coating, I've scratched it off my short list. Now I am trying to decide between:
  • Mevotech CMS9800 & CMS9801 "Overbuilt" series with corrosion resistant finish
  • ACDelco 45D3223 & 45D3224 "Professional" series with corrosion resistant finish
Does anyone know which product is superior and why?

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
I'm always a fan of AC Delco products.
I have not used these products, if I was to make a choice between the two
the Delco's would win out based on the weight of the product
Delco's at 6.2k-13.26lbs vs. 11.2 lbs.

Heavier the better product, hey it works for transformers, for me anyway.

Just my 2c.

Don

^_^

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2 pounds is a big difference (2/11.2 = 18%).

I'm sold on the ACDelco's heavier control arm and its anti-corrosion finish unless there is a problem with the fit.

Where is a good place to find the weight figures?

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
Best I could find was shipping weight comparison,
Delco here

The other here

That is what I was able to find -
No guarantee on the accuracy though.

Don

^_^

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
My shipment of ACDelco 45D3223 & 45D3224 "Professional" series lower control arms has finally arrived.

Here's how much they weigh:
  1. Each lower control arm weighs 11.2 pounds.
  2. The shipping box for each control arm weighs 2 pounds.
  3. The total shipping weight including the box is 13.2 pounds for each control arm.
Each control arm is comprised of two sections of steel fused together like a clam shell. The exterior surfaces are painted black. The interior surfaces are unpainted. Two bushings are included on each control arm.

Here are my conclusions:

• The 11.2 pound net weight of the ACDelco lower control arm is similar to that of its Moog competitor.
  • If you see a shipping weight for the lower control arm, subtract about 2 pounds to derive the net weight of the control arm.
  • The exterior paint is important for corrosion resistance but it does not cover the interior surfaces that truly need a protective finish.
I have two requests:

(1) If anyone has the part numbers or specifications for the nuts and bolts that fasten the lower control arms, please post them. I hope to replace these old nuts and bolts with stainless steel nuts and bolts. I do need the part numbers or specifications.

(2) I'd like to spray paint the interior surfaces of the lower control arms before they are mounted. Does anyone know what type of auto paint will not harm the rubber bushings?

Thank you very much!

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does anyone know what type of coating is used on the OEM Suzuki lower control arms?

Is it a zinc chromate conversion coating which appears yellowish?

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It looks like I've been able to answer my own questions:
  1. I've ordered the nuts, bolts and fasteners for both lower control arms. I plan to replace the old nuts, bolts and fasteners when I install the new lower control arms.
  2. My second lower control arm arrived fully painted inside and out.
  3. I took another look at my first lower control arm and discovered that the interior was covered with fine dust that made it look unpainted. Brushing away the dust reveals an interior surface that is painted black just like that of the other lower control arm.

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
It looks like I've been able to answer my own questions:

Man, is that good news!

I was feeling bad for the suggestion. :eek:

Brushing away the dust reveals an interior surface that is painted black just like that of the other lower control arm.
Feeling much better now. :lol:

and they were both accurate on "their" described weights. :p

Don

^_^

1 - 9 of 9 Posts