Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a front end grinding noise (sounds like front passenger wheel). As I accelerate the grinding picks up speed, and slows down as I decelerate. It seems like there is just one spot where it grinds/rubs because it grinds stops grind stops and does this faster and slower as I pick up and drop speed. I took it in and though it was the brakes, so I had them all replaced. The noise is still there. What could it be? 97 tracker 2 door 1.6 5sp manual 4x4. Thanks

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I'd suspect bearings, but it could be other things.

As you "had them all replaced" I assume that you, personally, did not do the brake work. Anyone working on brakes should check the bearings when the have the front wheels off the ground. Once the wheel is jacked up, it only takes a few seconds. You turn (roll) them, listen for sound and feel for grinding. Also check for wobble...

Other possibilities are the front hubs and CV joints. Possibly the front differential.

Do you have manual or auto hubs? Does it make the sound in 4x4 and in 2 wheel drive? (Do not use 4x4 on pavement, find some gravel or dirt roads to test.) You can also lock the hubs and drive with the transfer case in 2 wheel drive... Each tests something different to narrow down the search.

Let us know what you find.

·
Super Moderator
24,466 Posts
Jack up the tire in question and try to manhandle it with your hands at 3:00 and 9:00, and 6:00 and 12:00. Any movement? Also spin the tire to see if you can hear the noise. You can also remove the lockers to the hubs (making sure that they are in the free position) and see if the wheel still makes noise. The hub lockers are supposed to be serviced each year.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts