Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I have been having some intermittent grinding noises coming from what I think to be the front left tire area whenever the hubs (manual) are locked on my 94 tracker. The noise seems to be random, does it anywhere from 1 - 30 seconds, then stops for awhile.

It only happens when the hubs are locked, regardless of if the car is in 4x4 or not.

I jacked it up and could hear the grinding coming from somewhere around where the CV goes into the hub when spinning by hand, so my current thought is that it is probably the CV shaft..

I can't see any visual damage, and I took apart the hubs and they looked fine and are well greased from my fall service. The noise started randomly one morning after it was parked for a couple of days in pretty extreme cold (sub zero)

Just wondering if you guys have anything else I should check out on it before I throw in a new CV??

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
26,902 Posts
You may want to pull the locking hub off the car and drive to see if the noise goes away. Have you ever serviced the locking hubs??

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, I serviced the hubs just this fall, everything looks good inside them. I figure that it probably isn't the hubs since the grinding goes away when they are unlocked, wouldn't that mean that there isn't much point to pulling them off totally?

Thanks!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's quite possible that it only happens when its cold, but unfortunately I cannot test that for a few months. It's only really been driven in sub twenty degree (20 deg F that is ~-6C) weather since it started happening, and it doesn't seem to plan to warm up here anytime soon...

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Yep, I serviced the hubs just this fall, everything looks good inside them. I figure that it probably isn't the hubs since the grinding goes away when they are unlocked, wouldn't that mean that there isn't much point to pulling them off totally?

Thanks!
Manual hubs are known to squeal when they need attention. I suggest you search here and youtube for hub service videos then compare what they did in the video to what you did.

Take another look inside your hubs for any place you see metal on metal.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is very much a grinding sort of noise, not a squeal. I serviced the hubs per a video on here, and already took them apart and found no metal on metal areas, and lots of grease, although I may take them apart again.

I had discounted both the brakes and the wheel bearing due to it only happening with the hubs locked, when the CV shaft is spinning. Also I replaced the wheel bearing a year ago (once again thanks to this site) and the brakes are also around a year old, and based on visual inspection/ rotating it bearing and brakes seem fine.

I had initially thought the sound was something rubbing on the tire, as it sounds similar to that, but nothing is touching the tire and no marks on it (plus the whole only when the hubs are locked thing)

I also couldn't find anything rubbing on the CV shaft anywhere either..

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Something to note: the only time there is movement inside a locking hub is when it is not LOCKED. If there is noise when the dial is in lock, it is either not fully locked or the noise is not coming from the locking hub.

1.) Check to see if the hub is actually locked.
2.) Look at the CV joint or the Spindle bushing inside the spindle. (#3 in the picture below (SW Suzuki))

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for that!
The hub does for sure lock, as when I turn the wheel jacked up the halfshaft also turns. (and 4x4 works fine)

Is it safe to assume that I should take the rubber cover off the CV joint to see if it looks ok?

From what I could tell, the noise was coming from more inside the area where that bushing is, so I wonder if perhaps the spindle bushing has failed..

What would be the easiest way to check if that bushing is bad?

Thanks for pointing that bushing out! I missed that when I was looking over diagrams..

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
The CV is the more likely. Outer CV joints normally make clicking sounds that change when making turns. But if dry, they could make grinding sounds. (Try figure 8's in a parking lot.) Check the boot. if torn/split or otherwise damaged it will need cleaned and re-greased... or replaced.

Pulling the CV joint out is required to check the bushing.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cool thanks! I have noticed that the front left has been making a slight clicking noise that varies with speed for a little while now. So i'll give greasing the CV a shot, can't hurt.
Thanks for everyones help!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.