Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey recently when i engage my 4 wheel low i get a clank clank noise but not when the car is driving but only when i mash the clutch down, it all works good when driving only this loud noise when i engage the clutch . I checked all my crosses and greased the drive shafts and they all seem to be in-order but the noise is still there. i even locked only one side of the hub and vice verse to see if i could identify the which axle is making noise but they didn't make any sound only when the clutch is engaged please advise!!!:confused:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dont know but been racking my mind only thing i could come up with is the release bearing .......i dont know

·
Super Moderator
12,171 Posts
Define "engage the clutch"? Is the pedal up or down?

Technically the clutch is engaged when the pedal is released - engaged as in it is transmissing power from the engine to the transmission.

If you are getting a clanking only when the clutch pedal is depressed, the chances of it having anything to do with 4L or the front differential are slim - chances of it being the release bearing is not particularly good (defective release bearings usually make a grinding rumbling noise - if your is really far gone I suppose it could clank), but it does sound like something may be loose inside the bell housing.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
thanks ill check it out i crossed alot of water recently maybe this has something to do with it some water may have gotten into the gear box housing. Hey i also did some mud drags on a mud strip on 4 low and the harsh release of the clutch with the 4wd on 4 low may have damaged the release bearing at least this is what i thinking still have to check it out.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Water in diff, pinion bearing has play and caster angle too steep all this needs to be corrected but first i want to change the oil and over fill the diff so that the bearing isnt starved for oil as it is now with the steep caster angel. Really hopes this works cause i want to run it this sunday lots of mud either it holds out or not ...

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Do you still have the lower bell housing cover in place? If not, you may have a rock or something in there and it is bouncing off the clutch and flywheel. Either way, remove the plate and flush it out with a water hose.

Once I had a clutch bolt back out and it rolled around down there catching on the clutch every time I hit the brakes... it was nerve-racking until I got a chance to pull it out. The good part was that the only loss was a clutch bolt and nothing more. It could have turned out very bad.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks ill check for that but i getting a play on the front drive shaft and i think its the pinion bearing ........... once my clutch began to burn and i emptied my extinguisher in the hole at the top of the gear box LOL!!!!!! powder fell out of the gear box for months Ha Ha Ha!!

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Another thing to think about is the front output gear on the t-case. It is easy to snap and the noise it makes can sound like almost anything from the diff to the tranny...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if it was that then when i a using the 4wd low then the noise would be heard when the power is on the gear not when the clutch is depressed. Am i correct or can this still cause the noise

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well took down the diff and both bearings were just fine no wear no metal scrapings in the diff ......I am back to square one next is the transfer case i guess ill check the front gear bill mentioned maybe thats it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts