Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Front crossmembers are prone to rust and eventually fail - not nice when your front suspension detaches!

Special Coverage Adjustment - Front Suspension Crossmember Corrosion #06186 - (10/17/2007)
1999-2004 CHEVROLET TRACKER
CURRENTLY OR PREVIOUSLY REGISTERED IN THE STATES OF CONNECTICUT, DELAWARE, ILLINOIS, INDIANA, IOWA, MAINE, MARYLAND, MASSACHUSETTS, MICHIGAN, MINNESOTA, MISSOURI, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, RHODE ISLAND, VERMONT, WASHINGTON D.C., WEST VIRGINIA, WISCONSIN, OR IN THE PROVINCES OF LABRADOR, NEW BRUNSWICK, NEWFOUNDLAND, NOVA SCOTIA, ONTARIO, PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND, AND QUEBEC

This special coverage is being administered in phases. The first phase will consist of 1999 and 2000 model year vehicles. Customers of 2001 - 2004 model year vehicles will not receive their notification letter until some time in the future. This, however, does not preclude them from presenting their vehicle for repair if they are experiencing this condition. In such cases, dealers should perform the inspection/repair and submit a claim following the instructions contained in this special coverage bulletin.
This inspection/repair should be performed at no cost to the customer even though they may not have yet received their notification letter . Under no circumstance should these customers be asked to pay for the repair and then advised to seek reimbursement from GM when their notification letter arrives.

Some 1999-2004 model year Chevrolet Tracker vehicles have a front suspension crossmember that did not receive adequate corrosion protection. The result of this condition may be most noticeable on vehicles driven in areas where rust is most common, such as areas where salt is used to control snow and ice. The corrosion may advance and cause rust-through perforation of the crossmember in the area of the left and/or right front lower control arm attachment brackets. As the corrosion progresses, the crossmember will become thinner and the perforations will grow in size. If there are a substantial amount of large perforations, the left and/or right front lower control arm attachment brackets will become weakened and begin to flex. If this occurs, the customer may notice front tire wobble, steering looseness, vehicle pull to one side, front end noises (clunk, bang, rattle, etc), vehicle shaking, or steering wheel rotation when shifting from reverse to drive and drive to reverse.
Corrosion may progress over time until the front lower control arm bracket separates from the crossmember.

This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 150,000 miles (240,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.
Dealers are to inspect the crossmember. If the crossmember shows signs of advanced corrosion or perforation caused by corrosion, the crossmember is to be replaced.
If the inspection indicates that the crossmember does not need replacement, customers may bring the vehicle back to the dealership every 12 months for another inspection.
Diagnosis or repair for conditions other than the condition described above is not covered under this special coverage program.

Parts required to complete this special coverage are to be obtained from General Motors Service and Parts Operations (GMSPO).
Part Number 91177632 Crossmember, Frt Susp

Service Procedure
Inspection Procedure

Conduct the steel integrity inspection using a 4.8 mm (3/16 in) flat-tip punch and a 340-454 gram (12-16 ounce) hammer.

Place the punch on the crossmember surface and strike the punch with the hammer using a 25-31 cm (10-12 in) swing and light-to-moderate force. Inspect several locations on both the left and right sides of the crossmember.

Carefully inspect the lower portion of the crossmember, on both the front and rear vertical surfaces, at the front lower control arm mount.

If the metal perforates or displays a significant "dent" upon test completion, replace the crossmember. Refer to Front Suspension Crossmember Replacement in SI.

If the metal does NOT perforate or display a significant "dent" upon test completion, no further action is required. Refer to the Claim section of the bulletin.
Crossmember Replacement
Remove the crossmember from the vehicle. Refer to Front Suspension Crossmember Replacement in SI.
Important: After installing the new crossmember, measure the wheel alignment and adjust the front toe, if necessary. Refer to Measuring Wheel Alignment and Front Toe Adjustment in SI.
Install the new crossmember. Refer to Front Suspension Crossmember Replacement in SI.

Dear General Motors Customer:
Important:

Your 1999-2004 model year Chevrolet Tracker is involved in special coverage 06186.

Your Chevrolet dealer will inspect the front suspension crossmember for corrosion that could result in control arm separation.

Your dealer will perform this inspection for you at no charge .
As the owner of a 1999-2004 model year Chevrolet Tracker, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us.
Some 1999-2004 model year Chevrolet Tracker vehicles have a front suspension crossmember that did not receive adequate corrosion protection. The result of this condition may be most noticeable on vehicles driven in areas where rust is most common, such as areas where salt is used to control snow and ice. The corrosion may advance and cause rust-through perforation of the crossmember in the area of the left and/or right front lower control arm attachment brackets. As the corrosion progresses, the crossmember will become thinner and the perforations will grow in size. If there are a substantial amount of large perforations, the left and/or right front lower control arm attachment brackets will become weakened and begin to flex. If this occurs, the customer may notice front tire wobble, steering looseness, vehicle pull to one side, front end noises (clunk, bang, rattle, etc), vehicle shaking, or steering wheel rotation when shifting from reverse to drive and drive to reverse.
Corrosion may progress over time until the front lower control arm bracket separates from the crossmember.
Take your vehicle to your dealer if you believe that your vehicle may have the condition as described above.
What We Have Done: General Motors is providing you with this special coverage for corrosion failures of the front crossmember. If this condition occurs on your 1999-2004 model year Chevrolet Tracker within 10 years of the date that your vehicle was originally placed in service or 150,000 miles (240,000 km), whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge .
What You Should Do: If you believe that your vehicle may have the condition as described above, take your vehicle to your GM dealer and they will inspect the crossmember for you at no charge.
If the crossmember shows signs of advanced corrosion or perforation caused by corrosion, the crossmember will be replaced at no charge. If the inspection indicates that the crossmember does not need replacement, you may bring your vehicle back to your dealer every 12 months for another inspection. Keep this letter with your other important glove box literature for future reference. Diagnosis or repair for conditions other than the condition described above is not covered under this special coverage program.
Reimbursement: The enclosed form explains what reimbursement is available and how to request reimbursement if you have paid for repairs for the special coverage condition.
If you have any questions or need any assistance, just contact your dealer or the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center at 1-800-630-2438 or 1-800-833-2438 (TTY).
We are sorry for any inconvenience you may experience; however we have taken this action in the interest of your continued satisfaction with our products.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Will everyone receive this recall notice?
Supposedly they will, starting with the early years. However they also state that any owner can simply go to a dealer and have their car 'inspected' free of charge, even if they have not received a letter. Ownership/address changes and unreliable mail delivery:eek: might mean some will fall through the cracks.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are MORE than similar ... they are built in the same plant using the same parts, except nameplates and some trim. I believe it very likely that Suzuki has issued a similar campaign, but a call to a dealership should confirm. Let us know what you find out. I have a 2000 Tracker and a 2002 XL-7 so I'd be interested in what you find out.

Bob

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you go to the following link you can access the original report (pdf) quoted at the beginning of this thread:

ODI - Office of Defects Investigation

You have to select 'search defect investigation'; enter vehicle make etc. (2000 Chevrolet Tracker); don't select component; select full summaries; then on summaries page scroll down to find the pertinent summary and then click on 'document search'.

I wasn't able to find a similar summary for Suzuki but if you print out the GM one and take it to a dealer they might tell you what the story is... and why NOT Suzuki, if that is the case.

Bob

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did anyone find out if the Grand Vitara is covered? This is the very part that I have to change due to rust, and it is going to cost $600
Did you print out the summary and take it to a dealer? They should be able to tell you if a similar program is available from Suzuki and if not, why not. Seems to be a serious safety issue and you might investigate with federal authorities also.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but thanks, was searching on google to try to find this part for my 2000 tracker and came across this thread. read the attachments, called GM and have an appt Monday to get it repaired, could have been a real disaster, the car pulling real bad to the left, and when a buddy and I put it on his lift we saw the crossmember was actually broken on the right front where the control arm connects. I never(or maybe i threw it out without reading it) got a letter from GM regarding this recall. Looks like they will replace the crossmember and align the front end, I am going to bitch about the left front tire that was wrecked from the car pulling so badly, but I doubt I will get anywhere with that. oh well, anyways, thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Honestly it would be way less of a hassle just to go out sand and paint it. I live in Nc and drive a 99 GV since it has always been in Nc this is not a problem but i am going to school in penslyvania so i plan on painting this crossmember as well as most of the under side of my GV with truck bed coating to prevent this problem.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Paint may keep it from rusting on the outside, but you will need oil spray on the inside also.

·
Super Moderator
4,499 Posts
update. I got a notice about it from my dealer and took it in. Mine is rust free. I can take it back ever year for 10 years for a free check

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2001 Grand Vitara is at the dealer now getting the crossmember replaced under recall,the service mananger said the recall was good up to 10 years or age and less then 150,000 miles,I just made it on both things.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm too late

Changed mine last summer, wasn't that big a job. Got a good one from the scrap yard ($100 - 150). Cheaper for me to do. I'm 70 miles to the nearest dealership (one way tow is $400.oo).

It was rusted so bad the lower control arm (drivers)was disconnected.

Buddy who owned it b4 me never heard of the recall.(pretty sad on GM's part).

Happy for all who got it done. For those who are to late, no worries. It can be replaced.

Good luck to all
Bum

1 - 13 of 13 Posts