Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the past couple days my front end been making some noise, and pulsating slowness almost braking-like actions when driving. Took it in to the repair place and it was the front bearings. I don't have the resources to do this job, like a garage or lift, special tools, press, jacks, etc.

Im assuming theyve never been changed and I may have exasperated them this past winter 4-wheeling through all the snow!

I'm getting bent for $600 with labor. How bad am I getting bent? ;)

·
Super Moderator
18,413 Posts
Enough so that you had better make a Chiropractor appointment. :(

$40 dollar bearings, and not TOO much labor involved. But without the needed tools...BOHICA!

·
Super Moderator
13,691 Posts
I don't know what your circumstances are, but, I have a driveway I can work in - so if it were me, I'd be doing it myself - based on Max's pricing $40 (presumably per side) so $100 tops in parts (got leave some extra for seals & what have you) - $500 will buy me jack, jack stands and most of the tools I need - it might even cover a Harbor Freight press and still have change left over.

Around here what we do is take the hub off and take it to a machine shop and they'll press the old bearings out & put the new in for about $20/side, so it doesn't really make sense my buying a press to do it - the press would be used once or twice a year if that often.

·
Super Moderator
18,413 Posts
ORF-TRACKER...I see that you are in Va Beach! Got any Military buddies? FREE DIY press services at the Base. ;)

I have personally pressed on rear axle bearings (back in the day on a '65 Chevy Impala) at the Littlecreek Amphib Auto Hobby Shop. :)

Not sure what Dam Neck might have to offer.

·
Super Moderator
13,691 Posts
A 91 should be a single bearing on each side, so each and per side is the same thing.

To be honest, the only reason I haven't bought a harbor freight press is the cost of shipping it home (and I don't have any where to put it) - I wouldn't make full use of it, but it irks me to have to stop what I'm doing and wash up so I can take the hub across town, and the guy I has always given me "whilst you wait" service, which is really more than I can ask for.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
-- A press is nice but not totally required. --

I had to replace one about 1000 miles from home. My brother and I used a large hammer and a correct sized (about 3 inch diameter) pipe. We also used a punch and hammer to remove and reinstall the "nut".

The best price we could find for a bearing "set" was about double that $40 being thrown about. IIFC it was about $75. If the seals and any other parts needed to be replaced, that could add up to close to $150 per side. How many hours did they charge and what is the going rate where you are? Could add up fast. (sadly)

If someone looked around, they could find the required parts cheaper, but do you want to speed "shop rates" for someone to save you a few dollars? There is a reason I do most of my own work.

Bottom line: did they do a good job with good parts?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah I'm in the reserves, so I have access to bases...Little Creeks auto hobby shop is closed now. Shipyard has one and its always friggin busy, like crazy busy. So does Oceana. Oceana's press has been down for a over a year.

Its in the shop now, Ive taken my wife's car there and respect the work they do. I haven't seen the itemized receipt but it does have a 2 yr warranty, which is good in case they don't do it properly. I suppose its just a matter of time and money and desire. And I just didn't want to deal with all the tools and my condo parking lot is not conducive for major auto repairs.

·
Super Moderator
24,450 Posts
Bearing here, and possibly cheaper elsewhere:
Amazon.com: Timken 517009 Tapered Wheel Bearing: Automotive
So, about $100 total for parts, and maybe an extra hour in labor as they tried to fiddle around with the locknut before using a hammer and punch to get the nut off - certainly doable in an emergency situation, but perhaps not really recommended.

·
Super Moderator
13,691 Posts
Check Max's link. Rock Auto has several around the $40 price point - and I agree with Bex - I'll use a hammer & punch on a trail, but at a point when I have the time, I'll do it right.

ORF - I know what you mean about the condo parking lot - what you can do in your own driveway is often not possible under other circumstances.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK so the damage is in for the 2 front bearings. I dont know their shop rate, but labor was $332, and parts to include both bearings, 2 inner and 2 out seals was $254. Throw some b.s. fake environmental fees and taxes in there and I hit $644.

So yeah, parts were a little high, but like I said, i dont have the special tools, press, etc to do this. Sometimes, paying is just worth more to me than my time, especially on an 80 degree sunny weekend in VA Bch! Tops off, and Im out making people laugh at our funny trucks, not stuck underneath fixing it. Until next time...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts