Suzuki Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
When asked where he gets that figures, the discussion continues:

"Primarily rough measurements. If you go to rock auto and look up the axle shafts you can get details on each one, I suspect the combined difference in length of shafts will give you difference in track. I have both vehicles with bare chassis but can't get out to do actual measurements for a few weeks. My figures are reasonably close. Maybe as much as 1/2" out, no more." "Looks like the Sport shafts are 24”, and the regular shafts are about 23 1/2”. Gen2 shafts seem pretty close to Sport length, within 1/8”. I just measured my Gen1 shaft @ 24”, and my Gen2 shaft at 24 1/4” both collapsed tip to tip. So the Sport rear axle must be considerably wider too?"

"I don't think so. Would have to measure."

·
Registered
387 Posts
"is the gen 2 wider than gen 1?" "trying to get that figured out.... lol And more curious about the unicorn Sport stuff Lol
Looks like the flanged shaft (driver) is about 3/4” longer for Gen2. I’m hoping the Gen1 Sport is the same."

"I think the Gen1s are 57.5”? My Gen2 measures a sniff under 60”."

"I’m assuming the Sport & Gen2 widths are the same..... but just speculating so far.
If I find a Sport, I’m gunna violate it with a tape measure."

To be continued!

·
Registered
387 Posts
"I thought the Sport was the same overall width, but the framerails were 4" wider apart, just like the 2nd gens."

·
Registered
387 Posts
UPDATE: Actual measurements between backing plates. Front is almost exactly 3" wider on Sport and rears are same.

·
Super Moderator
12,581 Posts
UPDATE: Actual measurements between backing plates. Front is almost exactly 3" wider on Sport and rears are same.
What EXACTLY are you measuring and from which point to which point?

The original poster asked about the compressed length of the front axles - there are two axles, one of which is several inches longer than the other, and both of which pass through the front hubs and backing plates.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I just share this when the poster raised the question at the same time there is discussion on another forum. The answer may not fit, but it is relevant only.

·
Super Moderator
12,581 Posts
Your last three posts in this discussion have been of no relevance to the original posters question - they are not interested in knowing if the Sport & second gens are wider than the first gens, it's the length of the CV axle that they need to know.

Posting a link to the other thread might have been more helpful, at least readers of this thread would have been able to understand the context of the posts.

·
Registered
104 Posts
It'll take some extra work on the mechanic side but it's the center shaft that is different so why not get a standard CV shaft and replace the "middle" with your original unless it's damaged .

Also if you can find an OEM shad it'll be stronger than the aftermarket.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1996 Suzuki Sidekick JX Sport 4WD Man 1.8L L4 DOHC 16V vin: JS3TD21V6T4105***
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Hi again - sorry delay in posting final result of replacement of axle shafts but I was trying to get to the bottom of a issue with the seals used in the replacement of the axles and that went on too long after the work was done. Suzuki dealer had "guided" me from the start about which parts to get, and I was given 3 seals for each side to order, the outer seal at wheel bearing, the inner seal and a hub seal. Except they ended up not using the hub seal cuz mechanic insisted there was no place for it to go and no seal for it to replace. In parts diagram it's right next to the inner seal, and so we figure it's really one or the other, depending on either which liter engine or Gen1 and 2 as you all were mentioning above. I think one of the frustrating things about this Sport is that it was perhaps built mid-year or something and they switched things up as they introduced 2.0 engine and the Vitara? Is that what Gen1 and Gen2 refers to? Anyway, that frustration, which by the way even the Suzuki dealer was stumped about, added to the confusion about the compressed lengths of the axles! When I was first told that my front driver's side wheel bearing was shot, and the axle pretty bad too, he quoted me parts and labor and he would have installed a SurTrack SK8013 that was 19 3/8" compressed length. But when I took the job to my regular guys, they use Olympus parts, which ordered a Napa MaxDrive axle that was 20 15/16", insisting that was the right axle and that is the one that was installed. They both show in searches as being for the '96 JX Sport 1.8L 4WD, but they are 1 9/16" different in length! I can't imagine that much difference could both work in the same car! I encountered same with the passenger side axle so I got one of each, the SurTrack SK8022 which was 23 19/32 length, and the Duralast Gold 7798N from AutoZone which was 24" in length and the one my mechanic installed. They are only 3.8" different, and I returned the SurTrack, but the website, and the company, insisted it was for my car. Can different compressed lengths of axles work in the same car? The ones installed, left side 20 15/16" and right side 24", seem to be doing fine. No leaks, no problems.

·
Super Moderator
12,581 Posts
The gen1 & gen2 refer to two distinctly different body styles...

The two images above are first generation, the first is the 1.6 Sidekick & the second is the 1.8 Sidekick Sport - apart from the plastic trim, the bodies are identical from the firewall going backwards, the Sport has a wider frame and running gear and the plastic trim is there to keep the tires covered.

This last image is a second gen, and there are also third & fourth gen versions, however, you're unlikely to see a fourth gen in the US.

Within reason, a different compressed length axle should not be a problem - as the suspension cycles up & down the length of the axle changes - the inner end is fixed in the front differential, the outer is fixed in the hub, and the inner CV slides in & out to accommodate the change in length, as long as the axle does not "run out of travel" ie, the compressed length is too long, or the extended length is too short, I would expect it to be fine.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I think one of the frustrating things about this Sport is that it was perhaps built mid-year or something and they switched things up as they introduced 2.0 engine and the Vitara?
96' Sidekick Sport actually was produced in July 1995 for 1996 model year.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I understand that, any car is produced prior to the year it comes out. In part searching, some things fit my car from the 1989-1995 tracker, and some things I can use from a Vitara up to 2001.

·
Super Moderator
12,581 Posts
There are many parts that interchange between the 1.6 Sidekick & the 1.8 Sidekick Sport, as the vehicles are almost identical above the frame, and behind the firewall. The 2.0 engine used in some models of the Vitara is a "stroked" version of the 1.8 in the Sport, so there again, many parts will interchange (there are actually some parts that were used across all the models built from 1989~2005) there are however many parts that are unique to the Sport line, and this is what makes sourcing parts for the Sport, challenging.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
You can say that again!

·
Registered
387 Posts
The Updated final figures: Measurements between backing plates. The front is almost exactly 3" wider on an Sport and the rears are same as non Sport.

·
Registered
387 Posts
"I know right!! Lmao. 5/8”ish per side makes more sense to me. As thats the diffy between Gen1 & Gen2. 3”s means a Gen1 Sport is 1.5”ish wider than a Gen2?!?"

21 - 36 of 36 Posts