Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Suzuki Sidekick JX Sport 4WD Man 1.8L L4 DOHC 16V vin: JS3TD21V6T4105***
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having to replace my front axles on my '96 Suzuki Sidekick JX Sport 1.8L. The websites that have the dimensions for the passenger side axle have differing compressed lengths of 24" or 23 19/32". One site even had it at 23 7/32" so I just wrote them off. I have talked on the phone with these different sites, and they don't know anymore than what's posted on their website. So frustrating. But one website shows that the non-Sport 1.6L uses the 24" length front axle, and my car uses the 23 19/32". Can anyone verify this for me?

·
Super Moderator
12,422 Posts
I'm not in a position to assist, but, I can tell you that for certain, that the Sport takes a longer axle than the non-sport - so any website that shows the 1.6 as having a 24" length axle, and the Sport as 23 19/32 is wrong.

The Sport models have a wider frame and a wider track, the front diff housings are the same length, it is the axles are longer.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know why you're not in a position to assist, but your info is really helpful. I have already ordered both axles, and will return the one that doesn't fit. I don't want any delays in the work while it is being done. I will post the outcome.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
I am probably simplifying this, but why didn't you just order the one with the same compressed length as whats come out? you are doing a "like for like" replacement are you not?
and my car uses the 23 19/32"
ordering a longer one that isn't going to fit seems stupid

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My mechanic hasn't taken it out yet. When I say "my car uses the 23 19/32", in the context of my whole post I meant that is what the website says, that the shorter axle part is for the Sport 1.8L, which is what my car is. I don't know for sure which one is in my car, and when my mechanic takes them out to replace them, only then will we know for sure. But I need the part there for him when the work is done, so I'm going to have both ready. I don't think that's stupid at all.

·
Registered
8,805 Posts
Do you not have access to a basic ruler? or even an advanced mechanical steel tape measure...

1581715407514.png

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow. Just wow. Car isn't with me, it's in the shop. Can't measure the axle end-to-end while it's in place. What's with the smartass comments?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wouldn't have you anywhere near my 'Zuki.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
surely the mechanic can measure it? Leave it in the hub, release strut, 2 pry bars, pop it out of the diff and measure compressed length, then 30 seconds to push it back into the diff to wait for a replacement. As Fordem says, the sports are certainly longer than the "standard" kicks, I'm sure that 24" or longer is is where you will be heading, your best bet is to measure twice, buy once.

·
Super Moderator
23,883 Posts
Here is the parts catalog for your 96 Sport. Find the part you need, and then research using the part number.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks for the 2 posts for the parts, which I already have and initially used to start my search. Wish that the compressed length dimensions were listed somewhere in all of these parts links, but haven't found that. Fordem's response makes sense, even though the website said the reverse. So getting both to have at hand when the job is done. Car can't be used until it's fixed, so don't want to order from overseas to wait weeks to get. Looking for these shafts more locally/quicker shows list of part # interchange that don't match anything from the 'Zuki or mega zip parts #s, even though the websites insist my Sport is a compatible car. I may end up having to wait weeks to get the exact part from the mega zip, which is atleast $500 more than what these local axles are, but hoping that's not the case. To 2013GV: the mechanic's shop is a busy shop, and I doubt using a bay and a lift for my car to get the piece out to measure, which is damaged and rusted and may not be able to be put back in, to bring the car back down and drive it out of the bay to wait for the new part to arrive would NOT be very sensible. Everything I read about replacing these axles says to first have the new one ready at hand. All my post asked was if there was any info to find out the compressed length of the original right front axle for my 'Zuki type. If I was doing it myself and had the car up on jacks in the drive and all the time in the world, yeah, I could take the part out first, then find a new one. But not happening that way.

·
Super Moderator
12,422 Posts
The only way to know the compressed length of the axle is to measure it, I don't have a 1.8 Sidekick Sport (SV series) so I can't, even if I did, I might not be willing to pull the axles just to measure them - likewise I can't assist with the lengths on the 1.6 Sidekick (SE series) axles, however, I do have spare axles for my GV, so if you need the lengths of SQ series axles, that I can assist with ;).

·
Super Moderator
12,422 Posts
surely the mechanic can measure it? Leave it in the hub, release strut, 2 pry bars, pop it out of the diff and measure compressed length, then 30 seconds to push it back into the diff to wait for a replacement. As Fordem says, the sports are certainly longer than the "standard" kicks, I'm sure that 24" or longer is is where you will be heading, your best bet is to measure twice, buy once.
Have you ever pulled the right side axle, it's not as easy as you make it sound.

Some markets allow "product returns" within 90 days with a full refund, and in that case ordering in both parts so you can have them both on hand, and then returning the one you didn't use when the job is done is a viable option, and less work than removal for measurement.

·
Registered
361 Posts
No figures are stated in the supplementary SM, both 1996 and 1997.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts