Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After endless badgering by friends, people I know have finally gotten a replacement for their dying Subaru Loyale wagon. They have to drive across the continent soon, and they were sure to have to buy a car along the way if they tried it with the Subaru.

The other vehicles high on their consideration list were a mid-generation CRV and the Xtrail. I couldn't get them interested in the Ford Escape Hybrid. One look at a Forester was enough to put it off the list.

They badly need a roof rack. Their '08 is a JX, which is the model with the drain channel covers instead of the roof rails. Is there any option besides the Rocky Road rails or home made solutions?

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Cancel the request. They stopped by my place on the way home from the dealer, and their GV has the roof rails like ours.

Which raises a question. Their '08 is supposed to be a JX. It does not have the sunroof, heated leather seats, leather steering wheel or 17" rims.

But it does have the full spare tire cover, keyless lock/start, 4-mode drivetrain, foglights, alloy 16" rims and the roof rails. Was all this stuff standard on the '08 JX, or is this actually a JLX?

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found detailed specs for all the 2008 Canadian models here:

http://www.auto123.com/en/suzuki/grand-vitara/2008/review?carid=1086000303&artid=99812

Besides the JX, JLX and JLX-L, there was also a base JA model. Here's how they differ:

JA: steel wheels, low range, keyless entry but not start, 4 speakers, manual transmission, half tire cover
JX: adds: alloy 16" wheels, foglights, roof rails, keyless entry and start, 6 speakers, subwoofer, full tire cover
JLX: adds: alloy 17" wheels, automatic transmission, heated seats, sunroof, 6-cd changer
JLX-L: adds: garage opener, leather seats and trim, deletes eyeglasses holder

So it appears these people have a JX with the automatic transmission added as an option.

Interesting that when we bought our 2006, you could only get the low range on the JLX-L, but by 2008 it was standard on all levels. We would have much preferred one equipped like the 2008 JX.

These specs also indicate the automatic got better mileage than the manual transmission. Probably due to a lower highway gear, even though it's still geared petty high.

·
Registered
83 Posts
So it appears these people have a JX with the automatic transmission added as an option.
Ahh, this makes sense. I had found a US brochure from 2007 that listed Base, X-Sport and Limited. Your friends' matches up to an X-Sport (or JLX in Canada), if we only had three trims that year.

Jason

1 - 5 of 5 Posts