Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having problems finding 20mm freeze plugs for an intake manifold for a 1986 1300 Suzuki Samurai in the San Diego area. Any tips?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
do a search for 20mm expansion plug. There are a few out there. I didn't know the intake manifold had expansion plugs on it. Are you using the stock manifold?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
freeze plugs

Major BS trying to find 20mm freeze plugs in the San Diego area. Contacted a local Suzuki dealer none in stock and it will take a week or two to get them in. Yes it is a stock manifold and there is 2 plugs on the bottom side of the manifold. I just tapped it out and but a 1/2 in. bronze pipe plug in. Oh it never gets below freezing in SD. Aren't we lucky. YA THINK Time to move to our next project on the Sami. Thanks for the reply Capt Ron

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
It's getting to the point now where regular stealerships (oops... dealerships) aren't going to have the parts you need for these things. Understand that the last one sold new off their lot was almost 15 years ago.

Go to Petroworks or Hawk for this kind of part.:cool:

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I saw some zinc and some brass ones come up when I searched. They werern't application specific, and they weren't in the autozone or pepboys, but they were available online.... just don't remember the site I saw them on. The brass pipe plugs should work fine. I learn something new every day... and I won't be tapping my freeze plugs out any time soon I hope.

·
Registered
71 Posts
dorman makes an expansion plug , part #555-101 (dorman is a nationwide supplier of small misc. auto hardware) lots of auto part store should carry dorman line.
Squid

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Freeze plugs

Squid.Thanks for the advice. The manifold I took off our sami is the original one and it has 2 plugs leaking. We located a second manifold with a carb. that we used as we rebuilt the carb also. I plan on fixing the leaking plugs and I will check with dorman, that way I will have a good one in case someone needs a Intake manifold. Tapping and installing a 1/2 in. bronze pipe plug was a quick fix. Where did you get your handle squid. I am in the fishing bus. in San Diego and thats like the best bait when you have it live? Thanks Guys. Great forum Capt Ron

·
Registered
71 Posts
I too worked on the fishing boats. back when I was a youth in school, I worked as a deckhand on the charter boats out of Redondo Beach, CA. A "Squid" is what we call someone who had no fishing skills and the deckhand had to watch so he did not get in the way of the other fisherman. it turns out I wasn't much of a deckhand and the other hand had to watch out for me. they nick-named me SQUID.

·
Registered
1 Posts
20mm freeze plugs

I live in Bullhead City, az and just today walked into the local auto parts store(not a franchise) and got three 20mm zinc plugs right out of their stock....as there are three of them on the 86' sammi's. msg me back if you want a link to their store.....might get them faster......around a dollar each plug.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts