Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone new here
asking for a bit of help just bought a v reg vitara soft top for the missus and i noticed that the front hubs have the manual system for locking it into 4wd
tried to move them to try the 4wd and they appear not to move are the vitaras auto select 4wd or is there something that is amiss here all help would be greatly appreciated
thanks
mick :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Originally posted by skint now@Sep 16 2004, 02:37 PM
hello everyone new here
asking for a bit of help just bought a v reg vitara soft top for the missus and i noticed that the front hubs have the manual system for locking it into 4wd
tried to move them to try the 4wd and they appear not to move are the vitaras auto select 4wd or is there something that is amiss here all help would be greatly appreciated
thanks

·
Registered
197 Posts
Honestly, I'd go ask your dealer or consult your owner's manual.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Originally posted by skint now@Sep 16 2004, 02:37 PM
hello everyone new here
thanks
They have to be used at least once a moth or they will stiffen up and eventually sieze. When using 4WD you need to be on mud, grass, sand or snow to allow the wheels to "slip" on cornering otherwise serious transmission damage can occur. Try a bit of "gentle" pressure with a wrench to turn them (with the wheels pointing straight ahead) and if you can lock them, drive in a field a bit to get the lubrication working. If all fails revert to your dealer for a hub strip down and lubrication.

Beancounter

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello,

I had this with my 2001 Vitara softop too. I bought it from someone 18 months ago who had only locked the front hubs once in all the time they'd owned it. Subsequently, both hubs had locked solid. In order to fix them, I had to remove them from the vehicle. When I disassembled them I found that where the bit that you twist to engage/disengage sits (looks like painted metal but is actually plastic) in the metal hub casting, the casting body had corroded and the black paint on it had lifted off all the way around, if you see what I mean, trapping the twisty bit. I removed all the black paint from the rebate in the casting where the twisty bit sits, cleaned every thing up, regreased it all and reassembled and refitted. Now, even all this time later, they are silky smooth, and work every time.

I too give them a twist back and forth every month or so just to make sure they haven't siezed again, but so far, so good.

Whatever you do, don't do what one of my friends did on his, and attempt to twist them with pliers. He destroyed the plastic twister on one side, and you can't get replacements without buying a whole hub repair kit, which from memory was about £185 + VAT!

It's easier than it sounds, so have a go.

Pete

1 - 5 of 5 Posts