Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if any one could help me, i would like to take my 86 sami soft top body off the frame in order to coat the frame in rust prevention paint. any suggestions to taking the body off. how difficult is the task?

·
Registered
48 Posts
check out xtreme 4x4 on powerblock tv they lifted the body to put on an aluminum one I dont remember how detailed it was but it could help. i think it was like 2008 or 2009 they did it (videos are on their site).

·
Super Moderator
12,345 Posts
I know you probably wondering what that has to do with your question - simple - the answer to both is the same...

It varies.

From a technical point of view, removing the frame is not difficult - disconnect fuel lines, brake lines, electrical wiring, steering linkages, gear shift linkages, etc., etc., etc., unbolt the body mounts, jack the body up and roll the frame out from underneath.

Problem is - on a twenty seven year old vehicle - there's going to be corrosion and what have you (which is why you're doing what you're doing) and removing a fitting that can be done in ten minutes if it were new, can take an hour or more, plus penetrating oil, heat. etc.

Make sure you have lots of time - months rather than weeks - and lots of space, enclosed is preferable.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I did mine

I did it to mine. It was not very difficult but it is not just a matter of unbolting the 10 body bolts. You must disconnect the brake lines at the passenger wheel well. Lower section of fender skirt towards the rear of front skirt. Also disconnect the steering at the rag joint. Then take apart all fuel lines at the fuel tank at the passenger rear side along with the filler neck. I think i had to remove the inner panel that covers the filler neck on the inside of the passenger rear corner. There is about 5 lines total that need to be disconnected. Maybe 4. I removed the bumpers so i did not have to worry about the wires connecting the turn signals and brake lights. Naturally the clutch cable needs to be taken loose at the clutch lever on the tranny. Don't forget the accelerator cable. Hoisting was the most difficult. I used the roll bar triangulated with the front tie bar. (radiator support). Use 3-4 inche wide straps to reduce the risk of buckling the tie bar. Chains or rope aren't a good idea. We hoisted it from the girders of the warehouse ceiling. Try and adjust your apperatus so that it comes up as evenly as possible. So that when you let it back down, aligning is made much more easily. I lifted mine off not only to repair the floor and recondition the chassis but to install a 3 inch body lift i fabricated. Unfortunately i lost the pictures of this part of the operation when i left my phone in a taxi and never got it back. When you do this and think you have unbolted and disconnected everything, double and triple check to see that you have not missed anything. If i think of anything i may have forgotten, i will try and repost for you. It took a few hours to get it prepared to lift and we did it with one hoist. Naturally if you have more than one hoist it would be much easier but again, be sure to lift evenly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts