Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was changing oil in the transfer case and found some metal on the magnetic drain plug. The pieces are thin like thick foil, kind of look like part of a "bearing cage" or piece of retainer of some kind??? I never had one of these apart so not sure on the setup. So now what...rebuild time? How are these to rebuild? I have the FSM and looks like lots of special "J" tools are being used.

This is in a 95 Geo Tracker with 156000 miles. I bought it last summer and wasn't sure when and if the oil in the front/rear diffs and trans and t-case were changed so decided to change them all.
Here's a pic of the metal.

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Super Moderator
13,770 Posts
100% correct - those do look like part of a bearing cage - time to rebuild.

·
Registered
339 Posts
You may be able to find a transfer case in a salvage yard instead of rebuilding yours. Most seldom see much use in 4WD and should be in reasonable condition.

·
Super Moderator
18,423 Posts
OP. Are you experiencing problems (noise or function) with the vehicle's drive-train? :huh:

There's a chance (although slim) that those pieces / parts are left from a previous casualty and just now uncovered.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no noises or issues with the drive-train. was just changing oil as preventative maintenance when I found the metal. Those pieces might of been there for years but not sure if I feel that lucky.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,255 Posts
Have seen bearings shed their retainers many times, the rollers will stay in the race unless some shard gets jammed and levers them out...

.... Philip

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, might run it for a while and check for more metal. I just installed the alter ego 4.5" lift and 31's though...might be a little harder on it this summer.

·
Registered
10,255 Posts
Just stay off Wasaga beach... Dont want to mess the sand with oil and!!

.... Philip

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll stay off the beach...I'm about 8 hours north of Wasaga beach...

·
Registered
10,255 Posts
I'll stay off the beach...I'm about 8 hours north of Wasaga beach...
N. Bay or Sudbury?

Probably not as pristine as it was summers 65 & 66, patrolled, OPP substance squad, watching all the hippies smoke....
Drove Volvo 145(sky blue) and 122S (grey),

.... Philip

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can't say that I remember summers 65 and 66....born in 66 but I'm sure the beach was "virgin" compared to now...must of been lots of fun though. I live north of North Bay...in Timmins.

Dean

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, I couldn't leave it alone...had the trans/t-case out for a clutch replacement anyways so decided to tear into the t-case. When I removed the speedo gear case off the rear of the t-case, I found some more metal in there - looks like thick foil strips all folded up.

I have most of the t-case disassembled now and no metal anywhere else so far. I did notice that there was no "selective shim" item 712 in the manual, between the output shaft rear bearing and the rear case. I'm thinking this shim came out of place during install and just got chewed up. Won't know for sure until I start building it up and measure for the required shim as per the manual.

·
Registered
10,255 Posts
Ok, I couldn't leave it alone..
Man after my own heart, had to get down and dirty... LOL

Keep us informed of progress, maybe some pic's...

.... Philip

·
Super Moderator
24,475 Posts
Definitely some pics would be outstanding.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here's a pic of the pieces of metal that I think used to be the "selective shim" at the end of the output shaft. The pieces were all folded up like an accordion - I flattened them out for the pic. They are about 0.015" thick.
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here are a few pics of the inside of the t-case...in case anyone cares to see the inside
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The only metal I found was the pieces of shim, everything else looks ok. I had no issues with shifting or any noises in 4H or 4L or 2H so I decided to just give it a quick cleaning and reassemble with all the original parts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts