Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I have a 92 Geo Tracker, 2WD automatic. We're fixing it up and took the carpet out today. I love how easy these are to work on.

Under the driver's seat, it looks like the material attached to the bottom caught fire sometime in its past. There is a black wire that runs the length of the cabin, from the passenger side to the drivers, and enters through some grommets on the side. It looks like a previous owner cut the cable at both ends where it melted.

I could use some help identifying the cable... what is it for? The car drives fine (just passed emissions! After a new exhaust manifold, Cat and muffler), no weirdness to speak of. All light work, we think.

Also could use advise on how to "fix" it.. there are a few holes in the bottom where it's now rusted through. We'd like to keep the carpet out.

Any help is appreciated!

Pic of the damage:
View attachment 29769

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Isn't the cat directly under that point? That might have been the source of the heat. There should be some kind of heat shield under the floor boards and above the cat. If it is missing, it might explain the heat damage.

As for the wire... if it was a '96 or above (OBD2) i would guess the rear O2 sensor... but you say it is a '92? ... I'll have to think about it and look at my disassembled kicks.

·
Registered
467 Posts
No O2 sensor on the 8V at the cat. Cigarette fire? Where does the end go towards the center? Parking brake light?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We just replaced the Cat. The new cat has a heat shield around it, but there is no separate shield above that. The damage is directly above the new Cat. Does anyone have a photo or diagram showing the right shield? I'll add it to our part list, get one and install it.

That is melted stuff, not mold. Whatever was put down there from the factory has melted away, even the carpet was burned through.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
We just replaced the Cat. The new cat has a heat shield around it, but there is no separate shield above that. The damage is directly above the new Cat. Does anyone have a photo or diagram showing the right shield? I'll add it to our part list, get one and install it.

That is melted stuff, not mold. Whatever was put down there from the factory has melted away, even the carpet was burned through.
Why was the CAT replaced?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why was the CAT replaced?
The tracker failed an emission test, so we replaced it. After replacing it passed with flying colors.

Does a bad cat heat up more than a good one?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
The tracker failed an emission test, so we replaced it. After replacing it passed with flying colors.

Does a bad cat heat up more than a good one?
From what we are seeing here I'd say so.

·
Administrator
16,315 Posts
There are different failure modes - a defective plug spark causes a misfire which causes raw (unburned) fuel to be dumped into the cat, which then tries to burn it, causing the platinum core to melt into pretty much one solid mass, blocking the converter - and yes - it will actually get hot enough to glow red and cause damage similar to that pictured.

Now - I'm not saying that is what happened, but I have seen that happen, so it is a possibility.

·
Super Moderator
25,554 Posts
There is a black wire that runs the length of the cabin, from the passenger side to the drivers, and enters through some grommets on the side. It looks like a previous owner cut the cable at both ends where it melted.

I could use some help identifying the cable... what is it for?
The wiring actually goes from the driver's side (left) rocker panel to the passenger side. This portion of the harness has wiring for the passenger side door switch and rear speaker, with also a number of splices that go off for the emergency brake switch and the safety belt switch,

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The wiring actually goes from the driver's side (left) rocker panel to the passenger side. This portion of the harness has wiring for the passenger side door switch and rear speaker, with also a number of splices that go off for the emergency brake switch and the safety belt switch,
Thank you, Bex! I'll check all that out. The PO replaced the whole sound system and ran a new speaker wire to that side, which this explains. I'll check the E-Brake and seatbelt switch functionality. I may just splice those in again myself if they are broken.

Also for all, this damage is old. Before we bought it, someone neatly cut off both ends of the wire. While it is possible a bad cat caused this, it wasn't ongoing.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
We just replaced the Cat. The new cat has a heat shield around it, but there is no separate shield above that. The damage is directly above the new Cat. Does anyone have a photo or diagram showing the right shield? I'll add it to our part list, get one and install it. ...
Laying under my '96 Sport, I noticed a shield mounted to the body directly above the cat. There is also one above the muffler location. I haven't crawled under my other rigs to check them... it might be a "Sport" thing or something added over the year to year changes. Someday, I might check the Russian Suzuki site to find out.

In my other interest (GMC motorhomes) they have been known to use cheap cookie trays to make muffler heat shields. They use washers between the shield and the floor as it is important to leave an air gap between the shield and the parts it is protecting.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I know the seat belt buzzer/light warning wire is around there and from my understanding is easy to get "pinched" when moving the seat forward and back alot. It happened to my 94 as well (the wire getting pinched).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts