Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
depends.... too many variables to say "yes" or "no".
for the most part no, but maybe if you are running a small lift with long shocks.

I had to either cut my fender wells and move my mounts up, run another inch higher on my lift, add a body lift, or run shorter shocks. I just lifted it another inch with the leaf springs and called it done. In my case that was easier and suggested by Trail Tough.

What are you trying for ??

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just a little confusion here, they bolt and weld to the frame so the only thing a lift would help is if it was a body lift it would give you more clearance between the frame and body, but i dont like body lifts, and i have spoa with a ruf kit and cjs in the back right now, and lower shock mounts on the axels

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
if you have your towers mounted high on the frame and its not going to clear the body, the option would be to lift the body, cut the body, or drop the suspension so you can mount the tower lower. Does that clear up the confusion? or were you confused about something else?

Body lifts are good for clearing large tires when you don't need the frame lifted up. With a solid axel rig, your pumpkin is going to hit before anything else under your rig. A suspension lift off the frame will not fix that. Only bigger tires can help with that. If you do a lot of crawling where your belly drags between your axels, the suspension lift helps a lot. Otherwise it just gives the rig a higher COG and makes it less stable to drive. Usually the optimal lift is a combination of suspension and body lift, so you have a suspension that articulates well, but you can spare lifting your engine and gear cases higher than necessary just for tire clearance. If I were to put 33's back on my rig I'd add a couple inches of lift to the body so the wheels don't sit so stuffed in the wells. My 5 inch suspension lift is as high as I want my frame to go.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
okay to mount the tower lower, i get it kinda, but it seems like theres only 1 place to mount em, but im doing them tomoro so we will have to see how it works out

·
Registered
149 Posts
okay to mount the tower lower, i get it kinda, but it seems like theres only 1 place to mount em, but im doing them tomoro so we will have to see how it works out
the only place to mount them is on the frame :p... where on the frame is up to you. Trail Tough says to grind off the factory frame mount bumpstop and mount them in that area. I decided to mount mine right behind the factory bumpstops and angled slightly rearward, thus keeping the factory bumpstop. Seems to work so far. I am using the Doetsch Tech DT8407 shocks on the front.
I am also running the bottom shock mount on the top of the axle per Trail Tough specs. Here is the Trail Tough YJ build that offers some info on mounting the Ford Towers.... http://www.zukiworld.com/month_050104/feature_trailtough_yjlift_install.htm

Kinda hard to tell how mine is mounted but here is the only pic I have while I am at work.....
I am sitting on Trail Tough YJ m/l SPOA kit front and rear with 6 pack "home-brew" YJ leafs w/31" tires.

Good Luck with this and let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
will i cut off the bumpstop and old shock tower, drilled and tapped holes in the frame, bolted it on and welded it but had to cut up the fender well a little bit to do it, not bad though, ill post some pics later

·
Registered
10 Posts
mate, unfortunatly, i think the body lift would be the best way to go, it would be harder than cutting into your fender but would give a much neater finish.:)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
theyre on the bottom, but i have rear leafs up front that i got off a loaner and stock leafs in the back right now but i have 6 inches up and 8 inches down right now and i like the higher front, its only an inch but allows for more clearance

1 - 11 of 11 Posts