Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, have had my 95 2d 16v auto, soft top 4x4 for about ten days. It is great, love it rust and all. Frame is solid but needs a drivers floor pan and real rockers but no biggie right now. i have developed a trans leak, drivers rear wheel cylinder leak, and the flange on the front pipe at the cat has disintegrated so it leaks right by the holy pan :).

Read a lot on diff, transfer case, and trans fluids and am now confused. I have gl-5 for the diffs, but cannot find gl-4 for the transfer case. Does anyone have an actual brand that will be safe for it?

what trans fluid is being used? I have read to use gl-4 in it also but cant i just use dexron 3?

last question, where can i get a new front pipe cheap? Or should i just take it to a muffler shop for some welding? Seems like the front pipes are rare and really expensive....

·
Super Moderator
25,561 Posts
Many fluids now list themselves as GL4/GL5...the point is that the fluid you put in the tranny and transfer case must be safe for yellow metals, and it needs to say that on the label.
And make sure that you are able to get the filler plug off first, before you drain anything. The socket is a 10mm socket - everything on this car is metric.
Regarding your exhaust - if it is just at the connection of the pipes, rather than an actual hole in the pipe, I think the forward pipe and the catalytic converter often come as a unit - if you can repair this connection, it will be far cheaper.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Supertech gl5 is yellow metals safe. As is coastal gl5.

I prefer coastal.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many fluids now list themselves as GL4/GL5...the point is that the fluid you put in the tranny and transfer case must be safe for yellow metals, and it needs to say that on the label.
And make sure that you are able to get the filler plug off first, before you drain anything. The socket is a 10mm socket - everything on this car is metric.
Regarding your exhaust - if it is just at the connection of the pipes, rather than an actual hole in the pipe, I think the forward pipe and the catalytic converter often come as a unit - if you can repair this connection, it will be far cheaper.
Gl-4 is like a thousand dollar bill, heard of it, aint never seen it, not in stores around here. I am going to order it from AMSoil I think. Why can't I use regular dexron 3 in the trans?

The california exhaust is all one unit, expensive, and readily available. The front pipe is way expensive but as suggested I will see if the 97 pipe will work.

·
Super Moderator
19,090 Posts
what trans fluid is being used? I have read to use gl-4 in it also but cant i just use dexron 3?
You have an automatic, right? :huh: Dexron there, but I think that you confused us (well me at least) with the GEAR oil subject.

You can get Gl-4 / 5 compatible via Canadian tire, BTW. Maybe not straight GL-4 though.
Royal Purple High Performance 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Oil | Canadian Tire

"Product #28-0241-2, For use in transmission and gearbox applications requiring a GL-5 or GL-4 gear oil"

You can get mail order GL-4 from Redline and proly other sources, at least in the States.
http://www.redlineoil.com/Products.aspx?pcid=7

·
Super Moderator
19,090 Posts
Along those lines...

Then here is an excerpt from Redline with regard to their GL-4 product line...

"Since most GL-5 gear oils for differentials are too slippery for manual transmissions, Red Line offers these products that ensure proper shifting while providing ultimate wear protection"

An interesting perspective! :)

I personally believe in using GL-4 (or GL-5) as specified by the vehicle manufacturer for the individual systems.
It takes the guess work of "yellow metal" and compatibility concerns out of the equation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts