Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,869 Posts
C= centered
D= double
O= offset

An example: an "O/C"...the first letter is the inlet side, the second the outlet side.
So that would be an "off-set inlet, centered outlet" muffler.

"In and out", simply means the DIAMETER of the inlet (exhaust pipe) and outlet (tail pipe) that the muffler will accommodate. :)

·
Registered
686 Posts
It's gonna be loud...

I should elaborate. I have used flowmasters in the past for many applications and my number one complaint with them has been excessive interior droning in most cases. The Sami is a short vehicle but poorly insulated. Mine drones and it's fully rattle trapped and carpeted

Your performance gains with a flowmaster over a decent universal quiet muffler will be negligible at best.

I bought my Samurai with 2.5" and Flowmaster and it was unreasonably loud and raspy so I removed it and went to a 2.25 using new universal Magnaflow cat and muffler. It's a big improvement but I'm still going to fashion some sort of silencer at the end for street use. That constant monotonous howl does get old after a while, especially with the ragtop.

Expect a Flowmaster alone to be loud with high levels of interior drone, especially at highway speeds. If I could go back and do mine again (ie. I didnt weld the whole thing up) I would keep the universal cat and use a decent quiet muffler.

If you dont hit the highway often it might not be so bad.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
17,869 Posts
I think you're right CJ.

There ARE other (quieter) model options over the Super 44 if he desires. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm quite fine with a loud noise. My father has two older model pick ups (67 & 65) both with Cherry Bomb mufflers thrown underneath'em and I never get tired of waking up to it. Oh, and about that drone on the interior. Is there anything I can install that will make less rattle or none at all? Thanks for all help and info guys!

·
Super Moderator
17,869 Posts
A droning sound is a resonance, not so much a loudness. And a pick-up truck comparison falls short, since there is a divorced / open bed back aft.

It's the enclosed cabin confinements of a conventional vehicle that retains and amplifies a droning effect. And it ain't fun to experience. It'll give you an actual headache. :(

·
Registered
686 Posts
This will have a high rice factor over an old school high compression V8.

To minimize interior drone you might see if you can position the muffler further back and have a look at other mufflers posted by Max. With a 2.25" and no cat even a quieter muffler will deliver ample exhaust note. A couple things that make this a bit louder is the fact that its a very short exhaust system (makes quite a difference) and probably has no cat.

Mine sounds pretty good and not to ricey configured as it is and I can listen to Tom Leykis at 70mph without going deaf (if no hills or headwind) but I would actually like quieter.

Keep us posted on what you choose and the results.

Oh yea, I have dynamat like stuff (rattle trap) on floor and sides with full carpet, it did help but I did it for temperature insulation as well as sound (AC equipped)

·
Super Moderator
17,869 Posts
is there any way to stop the droning? Or make it less severe?

Extensive undercoating application or a sound deadener like Dynamat on the inside floors & sides. A lot of work and expense though, that MAY make the droning manageable.

Another option is to add an additional small muffler / silencer later to the end of the tailpipe, if you feel it's too noisy with just the Flowmaster.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright, well I will be purchasing me some Dynamat then! I'm going to stick with the 44's but I'll be careful about the drone. I'll keep you posted on the results and record a video for further review. Thanks for all the help!

·
Super Moderator
17,869 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
It will help if the exhaust outlet extends beyond the rear bumper rather than turning down under the truck.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm quite fine with a loud noise. My father has two older model pick ups (67 & 65) both with Cherry Bomb mufflers thrown underneath'em and I never get tired of waking up to it.
Like they said, not the same thing. Different mufflers, different chassis.

Oh, and about that drone on the interior. Is there anything I can install that will make less rattle or none at all? Thanks for all help and info guys!
Resonance is not a rattle. Resonance involves standing sound waves in the exhaust that interfere constructively with each other. That's what you are hearing when the famous Flowmaster drone surfaces in a vehicle cabin. Sound insulators on the body address symptoms, not the problem. To fix the problem, you have to identify the resonant frequency and modify the exhaust to create destructive interference in that range. It involves building a closed-end Helmholtz resonator and teeing it into the exhaust. It will resonate 180°out of phase and cancel the drone.

A droning sound is a resonance, not so much a loudness. And a pick-up truck comparison falls short, since there is a divorced / open bed back aft.

It's the enclosed cabin confinements of a conventional vehicle that retains and amplifies a droning effect. And it ain't fun to experience. It'll give you an actual headache. :(
Been there, done that. Flowmasters drone like crazy in Fox3 Mustangs, especially hatchbacks and especially '87-93 GTs that came with turned-down tips behind the valance. Headache city.

This will have a high rice factor over an old school high compression V8.
I have to agree here. Few four-cylinder engines sound good with Flows and they all have a hollow can sound. Mufflers with packing usually get rid of the higher frequencies and have a deeper bass note, which I think sounds better.

·
Registered
686 Posts
It does have a nice note but I'll bet its loud enough to make your ears bleed after a few WOT jaunts into the headwinds, still it does sound better than some.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts