Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
both driver, and pass. side floor pan is cracked where the seat bolts to the nut in the floor. On the drivers side the nut completly rip out of the floor pan leaving a gaping hole. Out of the 4 Samurai's I have owned, and the few I have seen close up, it appears they all have cracked floors. its because when you slided the chair to the farest back position, all your weight is centered on the 2 back mounts, and no load is on the 2 front mounts, causing the back ones to have excessive load, failing. I think on the drivers side im going to weld a nut to a washer and weld that down to the floor. but on the pass side I would like to do more than put a washer. I was thinking of welding a plate down, but I dont think I could form the shape of the corrigated pass. floor pan.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
you could buy a replacement floor pan and cut out the old one and weld in the new one. spendy though.

The corugation adds structural rigidity to a large section of flat sheet. For a runner going across I wouldn't worry about following the bends in the metal. Just use a flat bar and go across the tops of the channel.

whenever bolting a load carying device to a piece of sheet metal, (seats, rollbar, safety harnesses) be sure to reinforce the area with some backing plate or use a large fender washer to distribute the load so it doesn't tear.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great! Thanks for the info Baratacus! My friend and I did a "patch" repair on his floor, what we did was take large diameter washers, and weld a nut to then, finally weld the washer to the floor, but the reason I don't want to do this on mine is because we turned the floor into swiss chess around the welded washer. All these samurai's are desert vehicles 100% rust free, so putting a floorpan would be unnecessary, besides I think a new one would also end up cracking unless you "beef" up the mounts from the start with washers like you mentioned.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
correct, you would need to reinforce the new ones as well if you were mounting directly to the floor.

Swiss cheese flooring is not good. When mig welding thin auto body sheet metal you need really thin wire (.023 or .024 mild steel) on low setting so you don't burn through. They don't have flux core stuff that small so you can't use a gassless welder for sheetmetal. Using .030 flux core will be messy cause you end up with the swiss cheese metal. Not good for structural integrity and not pretty. Making short quick passes with heavier fluxcore wire and allowing lots of cooling between hits you can do it, but its not a very effective technique.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts