Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2000 Grand Vitara (US Spec) 4x4, 2.5L, A/T

With the brutal cold and copious snow here in Missouri, we've been glad to have my wife's GV on the road these past few weeks. Occasionally the air bag light will flicker dimly for a while, then go away. Today my wife told me the air bag light came on solid for about ten minutes as she was driving to town, then went off again. The only code showing on our code reader is P0440 - it either needs a new gas cap or I have a leak in a vacuum line somewhere, but that's clearly not related to the air bag light. It's just occurred to me that I've never put a reader on it while the air bag light is on, but I'd think that if it was throwing a code it would stick until I cleared it.

Anyway - how do I troubleshoot the air bag light? It's one system I don't know much about beyond knowing I need to be careful with it so I don't deploy the bags. 馃檭

EDIT: I should note that the horn does still work. From what I'm reading that should tell me the clock spring is okay, right?

Super Moderator
First - your reader may NOT be able to communicate with the SRS (Supplementary Restraint System, aka airbag system), and second, the "clock spring" is a series of individual connections in a spiral cable, it is possible for one to work whilst another doesn't, so, no, the horn working just means that part of the "clock spring" is intact.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
First - your reader may NOT be able to communicate with the SRS (Supplementary Restraint System, aka airbag system), and second, the "clock spring" is a series of individual connections in a spiral cable, it is possible for one to work whilst another doesn't, so, no, the horn working just means that part of the "clock spring" is intact.
Thanks Fordem. I will check whether my reader will talk to the SRS. Man I hope I don't need a new one of these things (part 37400-66D41 if I'm correct). Those things are pricey!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts