Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well guys the flex plate that I found at a salvage yard has a crack in it around one of the holes where it bolts to the torque converter. I haven't been able to find one of these new except from Suzuki and its over $300. Would you attempt to weld the crack and grind it back down? Or maybe somebody has a good one laying around I could buy!! It's a 98 2dr 1.6 liter. 3spd.

·
Super Moderator
19,087 Posts
Keep looking...

Welding should be a last resort. Chasing (identifying the extent) of the crack and proper welding procedure are key. Not to mention the probable heat of distortion effect on the plate's dimensional specification (run-out and wobble). Plate balance too, depending on the added weld mtl amount.

This puppy spins up to 5 / 6K with a pretty good load on it, so it needs to be in good shape. ;)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Max I think I found a new one from Chevy for $133. Think that's my best route if I can't find a good used one. I thought I was ready to re install the engine now I'm on hold again lol.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
I have one, but, it's from a JDM engine (16v) I purchased on the internet from an importer. When I installed the engine in my 95 Tracker, I used the flexplate that was original to the 95, so don't know if they're the same or not. It may have come from a car, which may be different, I don't know. If you think you may be interested, PM me you email address and I can send pics or dimensions you need.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,264 Posts
Do not weld unless you have access to a milling machine (lathe), xray and a spin balancer..

..... Philip

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Ranger if yours is off of a 2dr auto 3 spd it will work. Text me pics or email. 662-415-1096 or [email protected]. Thanks
Don't know what it's off of, as I bought the engine with flexplate attached from a Japanese importer. I'll get some pics and basic dimensions for you tomorrow.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Max. I don't believe anything that will fit a 99 up will work. It has to be a 89-98 3 spd. I looked on ebay last night and found one I think. I'm waiting on them to contact me. I want to verify that all the starter teeth are good. I maybe able to get one from Chevy. I found some on line for $133 if they are still available. I'm going to call my dealer tomorrow. Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I think they used G16 engines in some 1999 and up so it is possible that one listed as fitting a newer year would also fit your older on. I wonder about the "M.T." in the title... but it is a picture of a flexplate not a flywheel that should be used with a "MT".

I have a g16 flexplate for a 4 speed. I can compare it to the damaged 3 speed one I have to see if it would work with your 3 speed, I just do not have time right now... in fact I really should be doing something else RIGHT NOW.... ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts