Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I flat tow my 96 tracker. I have free manual hubs, tow with the transfer in neutral, transmission in 2nd, and start the engine every 100-200 miles. My problem is that after I flat tow for about 100 or more miles, when I start my car I get a loud squeal (like a fan belt) for 10-20 seconds after start and then it stops. This happens every time After I tow again. After the last tow (and it's squeal) it will not squeal again on startup until I tow flat again. Any ideas as to what's going on would be helpful.

·
Super Moderator
18,739 Posts
Are you towing it with the lights on or have any other electrical load involved?

IF so, it's just a loose alternator belt and the alt is trying to jam a large charge BACK into the battery.

No other squeal reason that I can think of. :huh:

·
Super Moderator
15,040 Posts
Have you considered removing the fan belt before your next tow to see if it is in fact the fan belt squealing.

Where's the ignition switch when you're towing?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No lights or anything is on during tow. The car can sit for a week without starting and will never squeal on startup. Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Key is in first position. Fan belts never squeal while not traveling. Can't think of a reason why being towed would cause them to squeal. But, thanks for your inputs.

·
Super Moderator
18,739 Posts
Key is in first position
That doesn't equate to any dash idiot lights on, does it? :huh: Or just the unlocking of the steering wheel?

Maybe that position adds some sort of electrical load. ECU, or??

I'd at least check the alt belt for looseness or being worn / glazed.

Also, if you were able to determine / measure the amp load on the battery in both switch positions, that would narrow it down.

·
Super Moderator
24,990 Posts
With the key in the ACC position (first one) your idiot lights, should come on for a second and then go off - are you sure that they go off, etc? As the steering column lock is mechanical, have you tried disconnecting your battery while towing to see if you still get the squeal?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What would cause a fan belt to squeal ONLY after towing flat for a short distance (<200 miles, and <than 3 hours) with only power to the clock in the radio operating with an unlocked steering wheel? AND, they are new belts that meet the deflection criteria? By the way, the squeal occurs at start up with the clutch disengaged, and initially when engaged in 2nd gear, and than goes away.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Are you sure it is coming from the area of the belts? Maybe towing in moist conditions? If so, a possibility could be accumulated moisture on the belts and pulleys that needs to work its way off. Moisture that might not be there normally, but forced in from it moving and the engine is not running to burn it off. What do you tow the Tracker with? Any possibility it emits anything oily that could end up on the belts as the wind blows it back when you drive?

Only other thing I can think of is maybe the 200 mile starts are not enough to keep the transfer case lubed and it squeals until the bearings get lubed after a bit. That's why I ask is it coming from the belts or not. If that's the case then might have to start it more often.

·
Super Moderator
18,739 Posts
What would cause a fan belt to squeal ONLY after towing flat for a short distance (<200 miles, and <than 3 hours) with only power to the clock in the radio operating with an unlocked steering wheel?
Because in that ign switch position you are energizing more than is obvious. My money is on a combo of battery drain / large charge rate load on a slipping alternator belt. Period. ;) That's my theory anyways. A weak or failing battery could also aggravate the situation.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After I got home earlier this week I left the car in my garage with the key in the "tow" position for four days and started it up without squeal. By the way...the battery is new and measure excellent.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Does it squeal when started for the "200 mile lube" ???

Have you had some one else start the car when you expect the squeal, so you could have the hood up and be listening/locating it? It would be good to know what end of the motor the sound is coming from!

_IF_ it _IS_ belt squeal, it would have something to do with something belt driven. If not electrical (ie: alternator), and A/C and water pump seem a little far fetched, how about power steering?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Max,
Thanks for your input. Could you explain why a large charge rate from my alternator would cause its belt to slip at startup. I thought alternators ran at one speed, even when under load. I'm having trouble understanding this idea. Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
18,739 Posts
A heavy charge rate requires more work from the alternator. More turning effort / strain to produce, in other words. This extra charging effort normally goes unnoticed, unless one has an AMP gauge installed to observe it.

Coupled with a new belt that probably is having that typical "new belt stretch", that's the issue here, IMO. ;)

I'm still at odds as to why the position 1 pulls a load, although Bex makes a good point confirming my suspicions as to the dash lights coming on momentarily, thus there IS some load interface there by design, in that switch position.

What all in load total (circuit wise), I'm not sure, but I believe that additional ampere drain pulls your battery down over a somewhat prolonged time.

Much like is customary with radio pre-sets, ECU memory and alarm systems (if so configured) even with the key off that can totally deplete a battery in several weeks of non-running / charging.

·
Registered
987 Posts
You need to determine where the noise come from. Does it make the noise setting with engine running or while driving? Otherwise it is just a guessing game as to where the noise comes from and the cause. Guesses and opinions are like diapers can can both be full of***

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you Max,
I understand. I'll do a simple test today (after it gets above freezing) by turning my headlights on for a while and then trying to get my squeal at startup. When my key is in position 1 the only thing that is noticeable is the clock on my radio and free steering wheel. The radio is turned off, there is no momentary instrument cluster lights...but I'm sure there are other hidden draws taking place. It's hard to think I have belt relaxation as the measured belt deflection is in spec of about .25 inch. Maybe glazing has happened. Thanks again, I'll do my test later today and post the results.

·
Super Moderator
18,739 Posts
You need to determine where the noise come from.
That has already been suggested.

Does it make the noise setting with engine running or while driving?
That has already been addressed in post #8.

Guesses and opinions are like diapers can can both be full of***
So. Have you something constructive to add to help our fellow member? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
339 Posts
If you're using some sort of braking device that draws power from the battery, that could cause it to discharge more. A check of the battery voltage before starting it at the 200 mile lube point might supply a clue.

The stock battery for a trackick is a 26R even though the battery plate will hold a larger one (34R or 36R). I just installed a 34R AGM because I tow and the brake device (SMI) uses the battery to run an air compressor.

I get a little belt squeal at every cold start, but it quickly goes away so I'm not concerned about it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Glas1700'
Do you get the same cold start belt squeal when you are not towing? I don't. When I'm around home I get no belt sounds whenever I start no matter the temperature (0 - 90deg).

·
Super Moderator
24,990 Posts
Do you have power steering? Just wondering what other accessory belts you may have that could possibly squeal.....

1 - 20 of 39 Posts