Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a heads up...
Someone from California was towing a Sami behind a small motorhome near Radium, Alberta, Canada.
Somehow they got offcourse and hit an 18 wheeler towing 2 empty flatdeck trailers.
The MoHo burned so badly they could not remove the bodies at the crash site.
The only recognizable vehicle was the Sami being towed...it also burned.
Only one to survive was the trucker, with severe burns.
There seems to be a conclusion that the MoHo should not have been towing.
No other info at present time.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Sorry to hear of this horrible crash. A sad thing to happen.
The story leaves a lot out though. A motor home crashing into a big rig not flat towing might not have a good outcome either. How was this conclusion made? Ive heard nothing about this accident its probebly big news localy but to those of us thousands of miles away we have no knowledge.
If you can describe what happened, how and why. I would appreciate as I flat tow my Samurai (perhaps a whip or flag might help). I mean if the guy fell asleep or something then it has nothing to do with flat towing or Samurai being a bad choice to flat tow. Please let us know why you made this conclusion.

·
Super Moderator
12,173 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,173 Posts
I can believe it, I've seen Samurais, I've seen SideKicks, and once I even saw an XL-7.

To be honest the first post(er) irritated me because there was no evidence to support the suggestion that the motorhome towing the Samurai should not have been towing and thus inferring that it was somehow to blame.

I'm not a US resident, but I have cause to visit once or twice a year, and on those visits I rack up a fair amount of mileage and I've seen enough to know that motorhomes with dinghies in tow are a very common sight on the highways and given the american penchant for litigation, if there was the slightest hint of it being an unsafe practice it would have been made illegal decades ago.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When first posted, all info was taken from the TV news.
It was obvious from the pictures, that the toad was a Sami.
The comment was from a person giving the news report at the scene.
As we all kno they sometimes (read often) get mixed or not so accurate info in the first responder news report.
Now I kno what the 'don't kill the messenger' idiom refers too.
The message that night was just as stated in the first "heads up" message.
It is still not clear what happened on that rainslick curve.
What is known is that a family in a MoHo towing a Suzuki met a transport truck and burned.
Having flattowed (4 down) my Sami many miles with my VW Syncro, both in the USA and Canada, without meeting any grief, it still feels safe to me. Using other towing vehicles also 'feels' safe to me. Still towing to the fun.

For anyone who felt badly used by the report, my apologies. Sorry cannot give you the name of the reporter that night or the TV news call letters. It was only on the one time in my community.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts